Kindling score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker62

Jan 29, 2012
Kenosha, WI.
Buddy of mine called and said he had some kindling for me . His friend recently passed away who owned a cabinet shop. He left my buddy all his equipment and the city is demoing the building . He was in cleaning out the stuff he wants and called me to see if I wanted some kindling .Truck load of kiln dried oak, cherry, poplar, sitting in storage for years , all cut to the sizes in the pic. I should be set for the winter as far as fire starting goes :) IMG_20151009_082035117.jpg

Wow...he must have been organized. I took a furniture making class once in college and the guy teaching the class had a shop in the millwright district. He rented his shop to some guys who made mandolins. Anyway, he heated his shop with a small potbellied stove. So all those scraps went into this woodstove.
Anyway, good find.

Nice having enough kindling stacked up for the season.
2 years ago, we dismantled an old equipment rack at work. It was built with cedar posts, 20' high and the posts were 18"-24" in diameter. The rack had been there for about 20 years. I took all that cedar and split it into kindling. I've never seen wood ignite as easy as that cedar. I have enough for this season and will have a little left over, but, I'm sure going to miss it when it's gone.

Nice find. Sure helps having friends :p

Can't beat that!

The woodworker in me would be scrounging through and saving some of those larger pieces. I'm dreaming up several little projects just looking at that pic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.