Kindling tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lots of old pine cones I plan to use . . . I also have a whole bunch of shims -- bet those will work too. When I was a kid, my Mom (RIP) saved dryer lint to stuff toys with, but I will save it to light fires with (thanks to Hearth buds info!). And, of course, there will be alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those moving boxes in two (2) months (not that I'm counting)! I will use a box cutter or scissors for that stuff.

Earwax, now see, that's something I'm always making more of and haven't a use for!
Ha, there it is! Been right in front of us all this time! Q-tips, wax covered cotton balls on a stick...fire in the hole! Now, anybody know the address for the patent office? ;lol

I had a 5 gallon bucket full of saw chips that I poured a pint or so of fuel oil on after changing the furnace fuel filter, after setting over the summer the oil had gently soaked down through almost the whole bucket, a small scoop of those chips would light up green Oak I believe!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what supercedars are made with

Thomas (the guy who makes them) knows, and he'll be happy to tell you. He's even got some video of the process and the machine. Visit his website. Send him an e-mail. Ask for a couple of free samples, he'll get them right out to you. Mention Hearth.com.

http://www.supercedar.com/

Best thing since split wood. Rick

Thomas (the guy who makes them) knows, and he'll be happy to tell you. He's even got some video of the process and the machine. Visit his website. Send him an e-mail. Ask for a couple of free samples, he'll get them right out to you. Mention Hearth.com.

http://www.supercedar.com/

Best thing since split wood. Rick

After hearing all the rave reviews, I'm starting to consider these. Although a part of me takes pride in starting a fire from scratch (must be from my Boy Scout days) those sure look like a light it and leave it solution. After the Super Cedar, how small does the wood you're lighting with it need to be?

So I take it that whatever wax or paraffin is in the supercedars, it does not bother a modern stove. What about "do not burn anything besides wood?"

Or is it just that a small amount will not affect the stove? As opposed to regularly burning demolition debris like a dummy

Has anyone had a bad result from using a small amount of waxy starters?

So I am a wood-stove noob, hoping to keep my family cozy this coming winter at our new (to us) horse farm: 7 acres, 11 stalls, and a used Hearthstone Heritage.

So as I try to prepare, I am wondering why there are not more tools specifically for making kindling around. Knowing nothing, I had the thought that a fixed blade you could pound the wood onto would be a good way to go.

The second method demonstrated here is what I am talking about:

Obviously I am not the only one to think of this, but the only tool out there designed to do this (that I can find on the market) is WAAAAAYY overpriced. (And yes, I have searched all around this super-awesome forum)

I know that there are plenty of you who have been using a hatchet safely to split kindling since before I was born and still have all nine fingers, etc., but why is there nothing out there at a reasonable price designed to work this way?

Nice video. I personally use cedar for kindling, I am lucky to have a veritable unlimited supply where I am in Maine. I just use my log splitter to do the kindling. When I do use an axe or hatchet I use a Fiskars, and when I am freehanding it I support the piece I am splitting with another piece of wood to protect my fingers.

After hearing all the rave reviews, I'm starting to consider these. Although a part of me takes pride in starting a fire from scratch (must be from my Boy Scout days) those sure look like a light it and leave it solution. After the Super Cedar, how small does the wood you're lighting with it need to be?

You still can . . . just the nice thing is you can do away with the newspaper, cardboard, etc. I generally use 1/8th of a Super Cedar and using the top down method have it just under or on top of some kindling . . . but other folks here say they can use the Super Cedar and just some small splits.

Estwing Fireside Friend is great for splitting kindling and larger splits.
+1 to that. If I fear they might quite making them, I may go get a second one. I LOVE this little mini-maul.

I have two big bins I built in my barn and every year I spend a day running logs through the splitter until I get pieces that are about 1"x1"x18". I then take all these pieces and put them in black garbage cans to sit in the sun all summer. Then transfer them to the bins in the barn. They are very dry from sitting in the sun all summer. I light a small piece of newspaper with 2 or three of my splits in the stove and that will light the big stuff. Works great and I never use any sort of pre manufactured fire starter.

Here is my kindling setup. I take straight grained pieces right off the wood pile and split off smaller as needed to start a fire. I use an Estwing fireside friend and a gum tree round that is now 6 years old.

IMG_20141102_120749.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.