King 5510 pellet stove in workshop, room blower doesn't change speed no matter what heat range set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cindym44

Dec 22, 2018
Grafton, ny
hi all,

Got a king 5510 given to me for my work shop. Installed and it works ok, except the room blower seems to just blow one speed. No mater what heat range set, it just blows the same. Heat coming out changes depending on heat range, just no change on blower speed.

I've tried changing the room blower from auto to 9 and down to 1, no change in blower speed.

No errors, stove heats up nice. If you're three feet away from stove you can't feel the heat from blower.

Any thoughts most welcomed.

Did the previous owner change the blower? Some of the replacement out there on the web are listed with oem part numbers but are not oem! Some motors are not compatible with the speed controllers and only work at 1 speed. There May be an issue with the control board circuit for the blower, bad triac,optoisolater.if you check voltage coming from the board to the motor and it's 120vac it is probably the motor.

Did the previous owner change the blower? Some of the replacement out there on the web are listed with oem part numbers but are not oem! Some motors are not compatible with the speed controllers and only work at 1 speed. There May be an issue with the control board circuit for the blower, bad triac,optoisolater.if you check voltage coming from the board to the motor and it's 120vac it is probably the motor.
Thanks for the reply. I verified the room blower is the correct one. Voltage is correct. So now what? To recap, unit works fine, heats up well, blower does work, just not strong and no change from heat range 1-5.
Seems to me, and I'm no expert, but if unit throws no error, or blower stops working, how do you figure out what's wrong. Don't want to just throw parts at it to see what fixes the blower speed issue.

The easiest test would be to unhook wires from room blower,make a test harness,and plug blower directly into wall outlet.

Before doing any reset please write down the numbers that the stove is now set at. You say it is burning good just that the room fan isn't changing speed, so you will want to be able to go back to those numbers if the reset makes the stove run worse. Push the HR UP and AUX UP buttons at the same time and hold for three seconds, a number should flash, that will be your highest pph setting. Do the same with the HR DOWN and AUX DOWN buttons, that number will be your pph feed rate on the lowest setting. Do the same with the DF UP and AUX UP buttons and then the DF DOWN and AUX DOWN buttons. Write those numbers down those are the high and low draft fan settings.

Did the previous owner use a thermostat? If so then the jumper on the board is probably missing and no matter what you set the board to it will not change the feed rates, draft fan rate or the room fan speed. It will show it changing on the board but is not actually doing anything, you can see this if the dash between the HR and number is flashing, that shows the stove is waiting to change state or to get to the set heat range. Also you may need to remove the side panel and look at the board and see if the jumper is in place.

At the bottom left you can see where it is printed on the board TSTAT, and you see the little blue jumper in place. I have seen brown or gray jumpers but most of the time they are blue.

King 5510 pellet stove in workshop, room blower doesn't change speed no matter what heat range set

Before doing any reset please write down the numbers that the stove is now set at. You say it is burning good just that the room fan isn't changing speed, so you will want to be able to go back to those numbers if the reset makes the stove run worse. Push the HR UP and AUX UP buttons at the same time and hold for three seconds, a number should flash, that will be your highest pph setting. Do the same with the HR DOWN and AUX DOWN buttons, that number will be your pph feed rate on the lowest setting. Do the same with the DF UP and AUX UP buttons and then the DF DOWN and AUX DOWN buttons. Write those numbers down those are the high and low draft fan settings.

Did the previous owner use a thermostat? If so then the jumper on the board is probably missing and no matter what you set the board to it will not change the feed rates, draft fan rate or the room fan speed. It will show it changing on the board but is not actually doing anything, you can see this if the dash between the HR and number is flashing, that shows the stove is waiting to change state or to get to the set heat range. Also you may need to remove the side panel and look at the board and see if the jumper is in place.

At the bottom left you can see where it is printed on the board TSTAT, and you see the little blue jumper in place. I have seen brown or gray jumpers but most of the time they are blue.

View attachment 236632
Thank you for the suggestions.
The heat range dash does blink on startup and or when I change the heat range up or down after stove blower turns on. But, it will stop after the unit reaches the heat range. Pellet drop rate does change on the heat range setting, hr-5 = more pellets, and the opposite for a lower setting.

Will the jumper you mention still be a issue even if the blinking dash stops blinking?

Thank you again for your help.

The easiest test would be to unhook wires from room blower,make a test harness,and plug blower directly into wall outlet.
Ok, a test harness to just get power to the blower out of the stove?

I did a C -13 check, factory blower test. It worked fine. Blower turned on and ran.

I did take blower out and made sure it was clean as a whistle.

Thank you for the suggestions.
The heat range dash does blink on startup and or when I change the heat range up or down after stove blower turns on. But, it will stop after the unit reaches the heat range. Pellet drop rate does change on the heat range setting, hr-5 = more pellets, and the opposite for a lower setting.

Will the jumper you mention still be a issue even if the blinking dash stops blinking?

Thank you again for your help.
The jumper is always a possibility but right now it sounds like the problem is the blower or the board not changing the voltage to the blower. I hope that it is either the jumper missing or like bob said, if that blower was ever replaced with a lesser type of blower it might only run at one speed. At least then you could replace it with a more OEM type of blower, they ain't cheap but you do want the stove to work as best as you can get it.

The jumper is always a possibility but right now it sounds like the problem is the blower or the board not changing the voltage to the blower. I hope that it is either the jumper missing or like bob said, if that blower was ever replaced with a lesser type of blower it might only run at one speed. At least then you could replace it with a more OEM type of blower, they ain't cheap but you do want the stove to work as best as you can get it.
Hi again,
I verified the jumper was on the board and the room blower is the original one that came with the stove.
Stove is a 2009 model, but it has set for the last seven years.

Hi again,
I verified the jumper was on the board and the room blower is the original one that came with the stove.
Stove is a 2009 model, but it has set for the last seven years.

Do you have and know how to use a multi-meter? If so unplug the motor leads and connect the meter up and try changing the RF setting and watch the meter. If it shows a change in voltage then it's the motor that is bad. If there is no change in voltage then it's the board.

The other option is remove the motor and put it on another stove that is working properly. Again if the motor changes speeds on the other stove then it's your board that is bad, if it doesn't change speed then it's the motor that is bad.