King Pellet Stove 5502M Auger Jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike0075

Jan 17, 2017
Michigan
I have a King Pellet Stove 5502M. Installed in 2013. I am now having a problem with my auger jamming/stopping once any pellets are in the hopper. If the hopper is empty the motor spins the auger with no problem. As soon as a few pellets get on the auger the auger won't move.
Would this be the motor going out?
I have had this working all winter so far with no problems until last week.
The unit is cleaned inside and out. I can move the auger by hand, but it is very hard to spin.

I want to make sure I check everything before I spend the cash on a new motor.
Also a few weeks ago the cotter key that holds the shaft to the motor broke and I had to replace the cotter key and put the motor back on the shaft.

Thank you

The auger being hard to move by hand makes me think the auger bushings are shot. That will put extra strain on the motor. I would at least pull the auger and make sure nothing else is jamming it either.

Can you see if the motor armature is spinning? If it spins while the auger won't move, but then moves the auger later without having broken the pin, then I'd think the gearbox is slipping internally and is on its way out. Likely from being overworked.

Agree - the auger is binding somehow, throwing extra load on the motor and gearbox.

I have a King Pellet Stove 5502M. Installed in 2013. I am now having a problem with my auger jamming/stopping once any pellets are in the hopper. If the hopper is empty the motor spins the auger with no problem. As soon as a few pellets get on the auger the auger won't move.
Would this be the motor going out?
I have had this working all winter so far with no problems until last week.
The unit is cleaned inside and out. I can move the auger by hand, but it is very hard to spin.

I want to make sure I check everything before I spend the cash on a new motor.
Also a few weeks ago the cotter key that holds the shaft to the motor broke and I had to replace the cotter key and put the motor back on the shaft.

Thank you

Update: I have the stove torn apart again to check the motor and bushings, the cotter key holding the motor to the shaft was broken again. I am going to install a heavier cotter key and see if this would help the situation. After removing the broken cotter key the auger spins easier.

I took everything apart, installed a new cotter key and it is working now, but once there is weight of pellets in the hopper the auger stops working. If I keep the level of pellets low on the auger it works fine.

I took everything apart, installed a new cotter key and it is working now, but once there is weight of pellets in the hopper the auger stops working. If I keep the level of pellets low on the auger it works fine.

What happens now with weight of pellets? When the auger stops turning, does the motor still spin or no?

When you had it apart, was there a lot of slop where the auger goes into the bushings? When you turn it by hand does it scrape the trough? If the bushings are worn out and there is enough slop, the weight of the pellets can push the auger against the trough and it will be harder to turn.

What happens now with weight of pellets? When the auger stops turning, does the motor still spin or no?

When you had it apart, was there a lot of slop where the auger goes into the bushings? When you turn it by hand does it scrape the trough? If the bushings are worn out and there is enough slop, the weight of the pellets can push the auger against the trough and it will be harder to turn.

Yes the motor seems like it wants to keep moving, I think that is why the cotter key snapped, motor wanting to keep the auger spinning, but the auger doesn't keep spinning.
Maybe I should start with the bushings and go from there. 2 of those are a lot cheaper than a motor.