Kingstar Inset Stove - chemical smell coming from it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueSunshine

Nov 3, 2018
Athlone, Ireland
Hi everyone,

We had a Kingstar Inset Stove with a stainless steal flexible flue installed 5 years ago. A strange chemically smell had been coming from it which we thought was installation smell but it has any burned off and in fact seems to be getting work every year. We lit it yesterday for the first time this winter and it’s the worst it’s ever been. Same today. The smell seems to worsen the hotter the fire is burning. It is a smell that catches you in the throat and causes a flu-like pressure/headache feeling in the nasal, eye and crown areas. I would describe it as a burnt nails or burnt hair smell, my family can’t quite put words on what it is but know how it makes them feel; “headachey”, “burns nostrils and lungs”. Would anyone have any idea what this might be?

(2) things come to my mind.. someone used some type of sealer on the connection joints of the liner and stove (not needed) or theres fiberglass insulation tucked up in the smoke shell area that's off gassing (only rock wood products or true fire proof insulation should be used, never fiber glass insulation since its flammable)

Reactions: BlueSunshine
Did they clean the chimney completely before installation? Can you pull the surround to check the integrity of the flue collar connection and see if stuff like creosote is falling on top of the stove?

(2) things come to my mind.. someone used some type of sealer on the connection joints of the liner and stove (not needed) or theres fiberglass insulation tucked up in the smoke shell area that's off gassing (only rock wood products or true fire proof insulation should be used, never fiber glass insulation since its flammable)

Thanks for your response. We may have to look into both those possibilities so! The whole thing will have to come out, it’s been cemented in so it’s a job! We’ve called the installers again, they’ve already been out 3 times over the years claiming nothing is wrong but they never pulled the inset out so I don’t know how much they could see...

Did they clean the chimney completely before installation? Can you pull the surround to check the integrity of the flue collar connection and see if stuff like creosote is falling on top of the stove?

We’ve just had the chimney cleaned there today but we can’t remember if they cleaned before installation. Looks like we’ll just have to pull the whole thing out and have a look! Thanks for your help