Kitchen Queen 480 operating temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denjohn

Jul 25, 2010
Prairie Farm, WI
A Kitchen Queen 480 came w a home we recently bought.
I am trying to learn how to operate it effectively and minimize creosote problems, but am not seeing any online info about appropriate operating temps as a guide.

It is used mostly just for heating for now.

Measuring about 1" to the right of the round stove lid over the firebox.....once a day, I run it up to 5-600*, close the direct smoke outlet, and then let it run to 700* before adjusting the draft control to settle into the 400* range, the draft control is then less than 1/2 way open.

I'd appreciate any comment or suggestion from experienced users, does that technique make sense?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing pretty well. Creosote build up is pretty natural in wood cook stoves until they warm up due to the cooler flue gases. The best solution besides what you are doing is to be sure the wood is nice and dry and clean the stove + flue after every cord burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.