Know your end grain? Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Could use a little help getting an ID on this split. I cut the end off with my bandsaw to get a clean look at the end grain.

IMG-9944.jpg

IMG-9943.jpg

IMG-9942.jpg

Impossible without more information

Box Elder I believe.

Sorry, I meant to add this is in central Virginia.

Rather quick growing species...

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I'm no good at end grain. But my guess from the three photos is some type of maple. (Which would include box elder.)

it almost kinda looks like wild black cherry . i've encountered a few with some big rings on it

I cut the end off this split hoping it was cherry, but did not see the typical darker/cherry looking color. It did smell slightly sweet but guess that could also be from it being in the maple family. I looked up box elder and don’t really recall harvesting any wood from a tree like that, but doesn’t mean I didn’t get some without knowing it. But I 100% know I do have cherry mixed into my wood piles, but all of those are clearly cherry if I slice them open to check.

I was curious as I needed some wood for my smoker and initially grabbed this. But I didn’t use it as I was able to find some other cherry.

Reactions: patrickk222
you could try burning it. if it's cherry it will smell nice if it is box elder it will smell like dog poop. smolder it with a propane torch

With growth rings that big, my bet is on Black Locust.