Kozi Pellet Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idaho93

Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
Hello - I am new to the pellet stove world - we have an old farmhouse we have been remodeling. I got a smoking (pun intended) deal on a new Kozi Bay Win model pellet stove. It is not our primary heat - only for when it gets cold. We will be installing in the basement near our heat pump system. The heat pump system works off of pulling air through a large duct at the bottom. Per my HVAC guy the heat pump system should be able to pull the warm air though the system on the fan setting. So, now that you have situation, I have a few questions for you experts - Thanks for helping!

1. I have had a hard time locating a thermostat for the stove. Is there a good universal thermostat I could use in place of the Kozi brank? Digital would be nice. It doesn't have to match the upper floor heat pump thermostat or be able to sync.

2. I am going to be venting into our existing red brick chimney. It was used for a fuel/oil stove before we switched to a heat pump system - so now it sits idle. I looked in the owners manual and could not find anything on using a chimney liner. So, do I need to use one that goes all the way to the top with a topper - or I have heard I can go so many feet up the chimney. What should I do here?

3. Do you know if there is a multifuel conversion kit? If so, are these worth it? Is corn cheaper? How hot does it burn? Is it better to stick with pellets?

Thanks everyone - i am sure that I will have a few more questions as time goes on!

Welcome to the forum! Can't help with a lot of your questions other than to tell you that you should install an OAK... especially if you are competing for air for combustion with the heat pump circulation. Kozi stoves are a pretty basic pellet stove w/o many bells or whistles. For venting, I would speak directly to the manufacturer. Not sure they have a multi-fuel option...

http://www.kozistoves.com/index.php

Good luck!

Not sure but if you have a multi fuel Kozi that can burn corn there are numerous people here that do burn corn and they will chime in likely but it is off season now so it is a bit slow here. My friend is in the process of replacing his Kozi insert with a Harman Accentra. He bought it new a few years ago and the stove does work but he has had to repair his burn pot and it needs very regular cleaning. I believe he paid $2,700 for his.

As for the corn IF it is dry 15% moisture or below it burns well. I also know many do a 50 / 50 mix of corn and pellets which is what I did when I tried some corn out. I am looking around for corn deals here now. Corn is cheaper than pellets now but that also means farmers are switching to other more profitable crops to a degree also. At least here.

My small experience with a little 50 / 50 corn pellet mix burning went well. It does seem a bit gummy and dirtier ash content wise. Somewhat of a sticky type residue inside the burn areas. There is also different flue pipe to resist the corrosion factor but I also know of some running regular vent pipe but they thoroughly clean their vents at the end of each burning season.

Use the search bar above here and plug in some of your questions for quicker resolution to your answers and such until others chime in here. Good Luck

I also use my central heat pump system on fan only to move the air here and it works well for me. I also use ceiling fans and box fans too. It works out well for me. So your HVAC guy is steering you in the right direction but results can vary as each home plan and situation can be unique.

From what I've seen, I don't think the Kozi stoves are multi-fuel...

Edit: Checked the Kozi site, no multi-fuel conversion kits. So any you find/use would void warranty and potentially run you into problems with your insurance company. They do have hopper extensions, thermostats, etc.

Last edited:
Don, I found that one too. I suspect that is not a Kozi made or approved conversion kit... not something I would be willing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.