Kuma Sequoia vs Blaze King King vs Quad Explorer 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I guess at this point I believe that most every body here believes the a freestanding stove will be much better than a prefab stove such as the quad 7100. I think the 7100 probably fits the space a little better but I like the idea of a freestanding stove, with the kettle, it reminds me of being a kid when my dad used his for humidity control.

Ok so I should be good either way. Thanks for the help looks like we have added another into the mix with the Buck Stove 91. I was more interested in the 94 but couldn't fing any good reviews on it, but at this point it looks like either the kuma or buck stove.

I've heard good things about the Buck 91 and it seems to put out a ton of heat. I think a free standing stove would eat a ton of square footage, so I don't blame you for wanting the insert.

Here's an idea... close off the old zero clearance and start fresh with a new hearth, and a freestanding stove. Run a stovepipe all the way up to maximize draft and heat output.

Mspaint drawing not to scale, plans not for construction :)

Some brick tile all the way up the wall would look awesome and make the stovepipe not stand out as much.

Attachments

• Kuma Sequoia vs Blaze King King vs Quad Explorer 3
    upload_2019-1-28_15-29-34.png
    461.2 KB · Views: 120
Wow that's a cool idea, if more of the stove pipe was exposed would I get more heat off of it as well? Would it have to be triple wall all the way up?

Wow that's a cool idea, if more of the stove pipe was exposed would I get more heat off of it as well? Would it have to be triple wall all the way up?

It would be single wall "stovepipe" until it hit the ceiling and then it would become class A "chimney" which is double wall or more.

Another option may be to use a smaller stove that uses a 6" liner (rear exit) that could possibly fit through the existing zero clearance setup (cutting out the damper). That's how mine it setup, you have to keep the existing chimney air cooled for it to work. I had the local installer come cut out my damper to see if a 6" liner would fit, he did so and shoved a 20' chunk up the stove to make sure it would fit. I'm not sure this option is available in all locations but is somewhat common out here. The end result is a 6" liner inside a double wall 8" & 10" air cooled zero clearance chimney, easily passed county inspection. I've been running this setup for the last few years (long burning season - Mid Sept until early May) with no issues.