Kuuma not installed in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewozmo

Feb 21, 2014
Wisconsin
Thinking of the Kuuma but basement configuration doesn't lend itself to a basement install (no chimney and no way to bring one up through the house). Anyone ever do a non-basement install and if so any advice? Thanks.

Is there a chimney in the house? Or are you talking outdoor install?

374_4.jpg
Howdy!
Not to distract you from the Kuuma, but PSG makes the mini Caddy with an optional distribution box that would lend itself pretty well to a living space install.
So there is no way to install a class A chimney out through the basement wall? That would seem pretty odd if true...
To answer your question, I suppose it could be done...the duct work would have to go in the attic (assuming a single story house here) it'd be a fair amount of work/expense...basement chimney likely cheaper/easier

Outside install. The gas furnace sits right under the front door/foyer so no way an outside chimney is going out the basement there. Gas furnace has typical PVC intake and exhaust. And I really don't want to be hauling wood down into the basement anyway.

There is a chimney dead center in the basement that services the water heater and an old wood stove, but that's in a finished rec room. No way to get the chimney over there or the heat ducts to the furnace without tearing up the rec room.

I thinking my only option may be a boiler with heat exchanger.

Boiler would definitely be the way to go. Kuuma outside would be terrible.

Reactions: laynes69
That may be best asked in a new thread that will attract boiler guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.