Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100 exit air temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaineHearth

Mar 22, 2023
Portland ME
Hey all. Wondering if somebody could tell me what the exit air temp is, or potentially could be at the plenum, or shortly thereafter. I want to use one of these as a source of heat for a wood kiln. However if it only heats the air to say 120 degrees then I need to look elsewhere. I'm sure this depends on a number of things such as the intake air temp, good chimney draft, blower speed etc. Just for conversation sake, let's say 70 degree intake air, with good chimney flow, and a medium blower setting, with the thermostat calling for heat. That should cover the variables. Oh, burning red oak @ 18% mc.

Thanks!

I'd be worried about the humidity rusting the unit out.

I doubt a wood furnace has the ability to put out enough BTU's to kiln dry lumber in a decent amount of time. What are your BTU requirements ?

I'd be worried about the humidity rusting the unit out.

I doubt a wood furnace has the ability to put out enough BTU's to kiln dry lumber in a decent amount of time. What are your BTU requirements ?
The intake air is dehumidified prior to going back into the kiln. It's will also be mixed with a small amount of free air. There won't be any condensation.

The kiln is a sealed unit and extremely well insulated R40. BTUs required depends on how long I want to wait for the batch to reach ~120 degrees. Faster is better obviously, but 50K should be more than sufficient. I will use a propane heater to bring it up the additional degrees I need, but I'm hoping the Kuuma will do the lion's share of the work. The kiln doesn't absolutely need to held at X degrees. It can vary over time, but the hotter the better after it slowly comes up to temperature. Ultimately the wood needs to be 160 degrees internally for 8 hours.

Any other manufacturer suggestions who make high BTU wood furnaces? Efficiency matters, because I can't be constantly babysitting the heat source.

What did @lampmfg say when you asked them about using their furnace for this kind of application ? I'm assuming you are kiln drying firewood based off of your comment about it need to be above 160F internally for 8 hours.

There are only two wood furnaces on the market I'd personally buy and Kuuma is probably the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodey
However if it only heats the air to say 120 degrees then I need to look elsewhere. I'm sure this depends on a number of things such as the intake air temp, good chimney draft, blower speed etc. Just for conversation sake, let's say 70 degree intake air, with good chimney flow, and a medium blower setting, with the thermostat calling for heat.
70* in the back to the blower will equal 120* (ish) out the top, blower on low. Tstat calling for heat means the blower runs on high.
Don't your return air come from the kiln? Or most of it anyways...just curious how your return air can be 70* for very long?

Hey all. Wondering if somebody could tell me what the exit air temp is, or potentially could be at the plenum, or shortly thereafter. I want to use one of these as a source of heat for a wood kiln. However if it only heats the air to say 120 degrees then I need to look elsewhere. I'm sure this depends on a number of things such as the intake air temp, good chimney draft, blower speed etc. Just for conversation sake, let's say 70 degree intake air, with good chimney flow, and a medium blower setting, with the thermostat calling for heat. That should cover the variables. Oh, burning red oak @ 18% mc.

Thanks!
call lampmfg direct

I’ve spoke to them before.

Very up front and solid on the info.

Great people.