Kuuma Vapor Fire Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is the bottom of the existing flex liner capped? How is it attached to the stovepipe if not with a T?

Thanks for all the great input. This weekend i pulled the liner and insulated it with the stuff i had a link for in a previous post. As far as the stove pipe to liner i just crimped the stove pipe and slipped it in. A few tec screws and it was good to go.
The new liner i installed the tee pipe at the bottorm again the same part i speced out in the earlier post.
My next question...... the stainless pipe that comes off the tee horizontally was not long enough to come out of my chimney. I had to add about a 2 foot piece of black pipe to get it out of the chimney. Is this ok? And also i was getting creosote builup on the bla k pipe right out of the back of the stove. How will insulating the chimney section help this? Should i change thia pipe out with something else? I don't have enough insulation to wrap the whole pipe going to the chimney but i could wrap maybe 75% of it would thia help? I just dont understand the creosote build up down there going away because i wrapped the pipe in the chimney.

Thanks for the help

Andy

Anything not outside the wall/chimney is supposed to be stainless. I would use the insulation you have to wrap the stovepipe, then order another short piece to do the remainder...you can buy short lengths of it on ebay (and others?)
You could also replace the singlewall pipe with doublewall, but that will be more money than the insulation for sure...and sometimes adapting the baro to the doublewall can be a bit of a challenge.
Just FYI. you can use foil tape on the insulation, but over time the heat will make it lose its grip...its best to also wrap with some small gauge wire, along with the tape.

Growing up we had a masonry chimney and I used to help my dad clean it every winter, as we had a wood stove down the basement. I got to be at the clean out door and watch for when the tool he used got to the cleanout door. Then he would release something and the metal "fingers" would spring out and he would drag it up all the while these fingers scraped the creosote off the walls of the chimney.
Wow, that brings back memories. Twice a year. I did the same to clean my parents tile lined masonry chimney.
1702408983254.png
The tool was a Neuman Chimeny Cleaner like this one. It actually worked quite well. Two ropes tied to in, you collapsed it and used one rope to lower it into the chimney, Mom would give me a yell when she saw the cleaner in the stove pipe opening, a jerk on the other rope would open it up and them you used the first rope to pull it up. It is still sitting there somewhere but we haven't burned wood there for years.
It was also my job to clean out the furnace in the basement, a 1980 vintage Russel Stove. I had a special chimney cleaning coverall that was covered with soot...... just for the job. Don't miss that!

Wow, that brings back memories. Twice a year. I did the same to clean my parents tile lined masonry chimney.
View attachment 320601 The tool was a Neuman Chimeny Cleaner like this one. It actually worked quite well. Two ropes tied to in, you collapsed it and used one rope to lower it into the chimney, Mom would give me a yell when she saw the cleaner in the stove pipe opening, a jerk on the other rope would open it up and them you used the first rope to pull it up. It is still sitting there somewhere but we haven't burned wood there for years.
It was also my job to clean out the furnace in the basement, a 1980 vintage Russel Stove. I had a special chimney cleaning coverall that was covered with soot...... just for the job. Don't miss that!

awesome, that's it! I could not find any photos of it online as I did not know what to search for. I was young when I helped my dad. This would have been from around 1980-1991 or so. We moved out of that home when I was 18 in very early '91.

We had a stove similar to this for awhile. https://aarauctions.com/servlet/Search.do?auctionId=2492&itemId=41506

Then he bought some very small Jotul to replace it when they remodeling the downstairs and turning it into a finished area in '85 or so. I remember during family gatherings everyone complaining about how warm it was in the basement. It did a decent job at heating the home. It was a small house and had an open staircase right near where the stove was, which was dead center in the house. Knowing what I know now, I can see why it did a good job at heating the house......and overheating the basement when we had a basement full of people. LOL

Reactions: JRHAWK9