Labeling stacks by year split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I got ahead in my wood, then got behind, now I'm trying to get myself a couple years ahead again. I will use some of this bone dry standing dead next year so want to mark those stacks as such. I like my red oak to season 2 years and want to mark them as such too. Most of my stacks are 8 to 10' rows using stakes to prop the ends. Does anybody have a labeling method they use to keep track? Maybe a little plastic tag on a end stake?

I've been thinking of this too and was kicking around the idea of dusting the end with a tiny bit of spray paint to color code the stacks. That would at least not wash away and couldnt get lost. Only draw back is, its paint on wood.

Hate to admit it cause I always think I'll remember but then after a year and half I found myself wondering 'was that lot split Nov or Aug'?

So I've been cutting up plastic milk juggs and label using a sharpie. Nail it to a split with a roofing nail. I try to keep track of the month and yr cut and split if those are a couple months apart.

Probably won't need to do that forvever but for now it's good.

Last edited:
Just write on your wood with a sharpie.

I did write on the wood with a sharpie one time - worked great. I actually found that split and burned it this year and it was marked 2007! I like the idea of using a milkjug tag as I can mark the whole row by attaching it to the stake.

I ask who wants to go next? No I actually put them on paper in the shed and just have a position number. Also backed the modern way up on my IPad with pictures
What gets hard is when you have a stack you want that is in back of a stack not ready. Happens all the time.:mad:

Sharpie on the pallet at the end. Thought I'd be able to remember, but after a year or two it all looks the same.

I have mine all mapped out on a piece of paper hanging on my cork board in the home office

Reactions: WiscWoody
Yeah ... I will admit to doing this. I take an old cedar shingle and Mark the year and often the month that the wood was split and stacked -- this gets tacked to the stack so I can remember which wood is the oldest. When the wood goes into the woodshed I Mark the year on the end rows for when I put that wood into the shed so I will burn my oldest wood first.

My way is too simple, since I don't know how to write. Two rows 4 x 4+ x 36'. And I just rotate through and refill. All dries a minimum of two summers, most is pine and aspen.

I just get so far ahead it does not matter. Take from one end and work towards the other -filling the void in the spring with new splits. By the time I get back to it 3+yrs have put it past it's expiration date. 4-5 rows deep, 4' high by60' long. Then there is all the other stacks indifferent locations around the yard/property

Attachments

• april24.JPG
    april24.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 144
I've got a store shelves thing going. I do occasionally blast a pallet with some paint.. but I don't have a 'key' to the colors. I've got a row of 70 pallets or so. they are stacked up to 6 pallets deep. So newest splits go on one end.. I 'deal' off the other end. :)

I have three distinct areas that I stack in. I just rotate and refill each year. So far I have been able to remember. I'm only in my early 40s now. We'll see how long it is before I am spray painting and mapping. :)

Never have labeled any stacks but do remember when they were cut, split and stacked. Perhaps when I get old it won't be that way?!

Reactions: Macpolski
Status
Not open for further replies.