Ladies and Gentleman I bring you the Sootmaster vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PJPellet said:
ironpony said:
iI use a stainless steel HEPA vac we use for asbestos cleanup
only have set one on fire so far

wife said vacs on fire
threw it out the slider into the snow
250 bucks out the door

still use one now
just make sure not to rush the cooling of the stove

Every week when I clean my stove I always think to myself, "I am surprised I do not hear more about vacuum fires," it seems like it would happen so easily and frequently. I am always afraid my vac is going to burn up like this, even though I let everything cool down.

Ha ha ha...so true! I caught my Hoover on fire several years ago, vacuuming up ash that was still much too warm. Immediately after I did it, I thought "geez, that was probably dumb". And sure enough, a minute later the vacuum starting smoking, lol. I took it out on the deck, pulled the bag out of it and threw it in the yard, so no harm done.

Pelleting In NJ said:
How does that compare with a $49 Shop Vac with a $36 Gore Clean-Stream HEPA filter?

Hopefully this will keep me from a lawsuit from not paying attention to the cheap filter and filling someone's house full of ash.

Eric

Dr.Faustus said:
redhot,

i live near that christmas eve fire. its suspicious! the boyfriend, who was also the contractor who was renovating his girlfriends house, took the hot ashes and put them in a bag near the house. the contractor wasnt licensed in the state he was performing the work which means there probably was no permit but thats a long story.

the main thing here is that you'd think a seasoned contractor would know way better how to handle hot ashes. there was no vacuum involved, just a scoop and a bag. the suspicious part is how the couple made it out and only her kids from a previous marriage were killed. super sad.

I told my wife when I heard about this fire it sounded suspicious. Didn't they demolish the house the day after this fire happened? Thanks for bringing me up to date because I only heard bits and pieces of this sad story. I wasn't sure how the fire started other than it involved ashes. After adding the stove to the house recently and hearing about this fire made me think more about vacuuming the ashes from inside of the stove during cleanings.

When I saw the $500.00 vacuum I was reminded of this fire. But, common sense must be used when dealing with any type of ash no matter what type of vacuum is used. As in the picture of the vacuum at the beginning of this subject, I did buy a vacuum made out of metal (this was all they sold when I was a kid, now they're all plastic). The big selling point beside being made from metal was it is manufactured in the USA. Now I'm courious to see if this really expensive one is made in the USA? I'd bet it is. It's a quality looking rig!

krooser said:
Since most folks have already spent the big $$$ on the stove and install, the purchase of a $500.00 vac MAY be within some budgets... and it may just be worth it.

I have several tools in my shop that were pricey but have proven their worth over and over.

Amen on the right tools for the right job! They may cost you more. They do the job they are designed to do!

Something I was reading concerning all vacuums that are rated to suck out ashes from stoves. Even though these vacuums are fire resistant and designed for ash removal, you have to make sure you don't use the vacuum for any house-hold jobs. The reason being is the trash from house-hold work could catch fire!

I was wondering if this nice Soot Master would still catch fire if there were flammable material inside? If the Soot Master is designed not to catch fire, this could actually be a nice hedge against accidental fires. Something like that could be worth the $500.00 these tools cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.