1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Large Dead Oak Come Down And Provide 8 Cord Of Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Joey Jones, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    :lol:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. We wish we had something in this software that would close these zombie threads after some pre-determined amount of time. Sigh...
  3. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    This was a pretty big ash. Don't remember how much but a lot.

Attached Files:

4. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    This would heat a house for several years...

Andrew

Attached Files:

5. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia

Something like this

Attached Files:

6. brianbeech

brianbeech Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Grew up in South Mississippi - have seen some MASSIVE Oak trees. Attached are two; a reportedly 2000 year old oak named "The Patriarch" at Mary Mahoney's restaurant in Biloxi and "The Friendship Oak" in Long Beach at Southern Miss Campus.

The Friendship Oak was measured at 6'2" (diameter) - over 19' circumference - at the base at last measurement (after Katrina). It's limbs are almost as large as the trunk and seem to sprawl forever.

GREAT TREES!!!

Attached Files:

7. Creekyphil

Creekyphil New Member

Loc:
    Eastern MA - South Shore
    The person in this thread was trying to calculate the solid volume of wood in the tree, and then divide that number by 128 to determine how many cord. I was just point out that 80, or 86, would be much more appropriate. Unless you are cool with margins of error +/- 50%.

And every time I've seen a large tree described, its by base diameter. When was the last time somebody mentioned a 21" base radius oak? Doesn't happen, its 42" base diameter. The volume function maybe (d/2)^2 *pi*length, but thats still a function of diameter. Makes a lot more sense than taking radius measurements off a stump.
  8. heus

heus Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    [quote author="Tfin" date="1222893061"]I can tell you right now for a fact that there are MANY red oaks on my mother's property that have WELL over a 2' rad

Same here. My aunts woods which is next to ours had a red oak that was close to 100" at the base. The loggers had to split it with explosives to fit on the truck. This was last summer. It was bigger than any of the oaks pictured in this thread. We have a few that are 4-5 feet across at the base. They will hopefully die some day of old age because they will not be cut down.
  9. ecocavalier02

ecocavalier02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ct
    i have cut up a monster oak that was probably about 50 inches high. i got about two cords out of just the first 8 feet of of the trunk id say. also was the worst splitting of my of my life. Pile 3 and 4 over from the left are just from that bottom trunk of the tree. and the load in my trailer was just a huge branch that fell of a monster oak in a another guys yard. so i think 8 cords is very true.. Ct really has some humungous trees.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      85.7 KB
      Views:
  10. 9050lx

9050lx New Member

Loc:
    West central fl
    I have several live Oaks in my yard.One is around 7 feet at the base with an average of 5 feet diameter up to 25 feet off the ground(estimated).It was hit by lightning in the past, must be several hundred years old.Half of the tree is losing its bark.It will not hit anything when it falls so I will let it come down on its own.
  11. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    indeed.

i have 2 huge oaks in my front yard. a red and a white.

2 1/2 years ago, after some ice storm damage, 3 limbs off the white oak yielded a cord. (3 face cords... :cheese: )
    gonna be burning that during the bowels of winter this year.

before that same storm i paced out the spread or drip line on the red oak and it was 135 feet. its now about 20 feet shorter.

majestic. its fun to watch people walking up to the house like they are looking at the taj mahal or something.

OT
  12. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong . . . the oak was a little over 4 feet high? ;) I assume you meant 50 feet high.

And just to chime in on this thread . . . I'm a bit picky . . . wood that is too small or too large I leave in the woods . . . I figure the small stuff can grow up to be bigger stuff and the big stuff deserves to live a lot longer and spread its seeds all around . . . plus when it's too large it's a bear to cut down, buck up and haul home. ;)
  13. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    i love the big stuff. the sawing is fun, the noodling is fun, and i like splits with no bark. I love the fact that 95% of wood scroungers dont have a big saw so they cut up the limbs and leave me the premium big wood.
  14. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    lol i meant the round stood 4 feet high off the ground laying down. the tree was about 50 feet high..
  15. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    came across this bad boy a couple years ago while hiking the applachin trail here in ct.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
  16. albertj03

albertj03 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I'm here in Maine and I've got some massive red oak trees on my property. There are a couple that I believe may have been used as property lines that have to be 100 years old if not more. One of them has the remains of a really old barbed wire fence going right through the middle of the tree. The fence must have been nailed to the tree and the tree eventually just grew around it. If this tree ever falls down I don't think I'd touch the bottom 5 feet or so as who knows how many nails and pieces of fence are in there.

Here is a picture of a giant ash tree down the road at my wife's aunt's house. This tree was just recently cut down as part of timber harvest and the bottom 15 -20' of the tree was too big for the logging company to take to the mill so they dragged it with a skidder out back into the woods. If I had a big enough chainsaw I would go cut it up. The picture doesn't do it justice I think just because there is nothing to really reference for size but this thing is a monster.

[​IMG]
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think they did this a lot in Maine . . . I have some sugar maples on the stone wall fence that are quite large and you can see the sheep fence that was attached and has grown into the trees. I ended up cutting one dead tree down in my first year of burning . . . I just tried to be careful with the lower part of the tree . . . and mostly I just lucked out.