Large Insert or stove that doesn't a blower for a low height fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmahdi

Mar 2, 2023
Scarborough
Hi all,

I'm looking for an insert that puts out good heat without a blower, or alternatively a stove that can fit.

My fireplace is wide but only 21-23" high depending on where I measure along the arch.

In my mind I imagine a wood insert that protrudes with a cooktop surface, sort of like a hybrid insert/stove.

Do you good folks have any ideas or solutions here?

To summarize:
1) an insert or a stove that puts out lots of heat (house is 2800sqft),
2) doesn't require a blower,
3) height less than 22" high

Thanks in advance!
20231106_141450.jpg

I know of nothing that fits all three. I don’t know if any stoves below 22” nor do I know of any inserts that don’t utilize a blower.

It really sounds like you want a free standing stove. Do you have any locations where you could install one?

I know of nothing that fits all three. I don’t know if any stoves below 22” nor do I know of any inserts that don’t utilize a blower.

It really sounds like you want a free standing stove. Do you have any locations where you could install one?
Agreed, aside from the cubic mini stuff (which will barely heat your room haha) I would opt for modifying the area and doing free standing if electric free is your goal.

thank you very much for your input, some things for me to think about. May have to stick to an insert that protrudes somewhat but still fits within the fireplace

Nothing I know of will fit height wise, why not consider a free standing wood stove installed in front of the space you already have with some kind of decorative fire proof shield blocking off the fireplace opening. There is no heat like the heat emitted from a free standing wood stove, it just caresses you all over.

Nothing I know of will fit height wise, why not consider a free standing wood stove installed in front of the space you already have with some kind of decorative fire proof shield blocking off the fireplace opening. There is no heat like the heat emitted from a free standing wood stove, it just caresses you all over.
So the stove placed on the hearth itself, a blocking plate of in the opening with a hole for the liner sort of thing? It would require stove with a rear liner hook-up I suppose, and I haven't seen one like that

Do you believe a wood stove setup that way would:

1) put out more heat vs. similar sized insert?
2) meet clearances? - e.g. I have a mantle 43" above the hearth and a TV 60" above the hearth

So the stove placed on the hearth itself, a blocking plate of in the opening with a hole for the liner sort of thing? It would require stove with a rear liner hook-up I suppose, and I haven't seen one like that

Do you believe a wood stove setup that way would:

1) put out more heat vs. similar sized insert?
2) meet clearances? - e.g. I have a mantle 43" above the hearth and a TV 60" above the hearth
I don’t know of any stoves that will fit your height. Most stoves need more vertical clearance than an insert (generalization).

Inserts just need a fan and they put out similar heat to freestanding. It’s more convective than radiant.

Look at inserts that look ok without the surround. This is mine.

3335CF6C-8573-4B39-8B58-10BB05F07415.jpeg

+1 insert without a surround is probably your best bet.

1000000411.jpg