Good off-grid wood insert options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmahdi

Mar 2, 2023
Scarborough
Hello,

Scouring the threads for the past 8 hours (non-stop other than to have a pee!), I'm looking for a wood insert that wood radiate and convect a respectable amount of heat without a blower. I recognize it will not be "as good", but as long as it's a decent amount.

My current setup is a fireplace that is 23" deep, 33" wide, and arched starting at 21" on each side, and ending at 24.5" in the middle. The insert that requires the least brick demolition, yet from my scouring seems to be recommended for good heat output sans blower is the PE Summit Insert LE.

Before I take a hammer and chisel to my brick facade, I'd love to hear from current owners on their input, how does your insert perform without a blower?

I'd also love to hear other options you may recommend.

Thanks in advance!

you'd have to do some measuring but maybe a BK princess? It still works better with a fan but someof it sticks out of the fireplace so you would get more heat then a normal insert. Its box is 23 3/8" tall tho. Depending on the arching it might fit. Measure your height at 13" from center on both sides. The Princess box is just under 26" wide

1700257291271.png

The Summit or Princess would both work out. So would the big Osburn 3500 if it fits.

As a general rule, the more an insert sticks out onto the hearth, the more radiant surface is exposed. There used to be a nice medium sized insert made by Regency called the Hearth Heater that did this well and the Hearthstone Homestead sat entirely out on the hearth. Both were discontinued in 2020.

IMHO, sure you might find something that might work but you are handicapping the installation by sticking with an insert. Do it once and do it right.

The Summit or Princess would both work out. So would the big Osburn 3500 if it fits.

As a general rule, the more an insert sticks out onto the hearth, the more radiant surface is exposed. There used to be a nice medium sized insert made by Regency called the Hearth Heater that did this well and the Hearthstone Homestead sat entirely out on the hearth. Both were discontinued in
Not sure if the princess is sold in Canada but the Summit definitely is.

Have you had any experience with it specifically?

IMHO, sure you might find something that might work but you are handicapping the installation by sticking with an insert. Do it once and do it right.
You mean install a stove?

The clearances wouldn't work out if placed on the hearth, it would have to be a rear vent, and wouldn't look good.

I thought of conducting serious demolition of the firebox facade to fit the stove inside the fireplace, but isn't it now basically an insert without a surround?

Not sure if the princess is sold in Canada but the Summit definitely is.

Have you had any experience with it specifically?
I do with the Summit freestanding and the Alderlea T6, which is a Summit with a cast iron jacket. @Hogwildz has the Summit insert.

The Summit insert puts out heat with or without the fan.
Depending on size of heating area and layout, may heat better in some situations than others,m just like any other stove.