Large poplar down and about to install new stove - pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Just picked up a new hearthstone shelburne Saturday. It was a floor model from last year, so I feel as though I got a good deal on the stove. I plan on making this a hearth stove. I need to extend the hearth about a foot to meet the requirements for space in front of stove. My questions are as follows...

1. Do I need to blanket the liner? It is a 17 foot run. Chimney is newer and runs through the insulated garage. I believe it is a 8 x 8 terra cota flue.

2. I am not sure how a 6 inch liner will fit through the existing fireplace flue...Look at the pic and it is only about 5 inches

3. Do I need a block off plate? Should I insulate above the plate, and if so what should I use?

4. Can I run a black pipe to the "t" for the liner? Does it matter if it is single wall? I don't have clearance issues as it will be in the fireplace.

I also included some pics of a monster tulip poplar taken down in front of my house. The base was rotting and being outside my son's window didn't make me feel comfortable. The base was 4 feet in diameter. The tree was about 100 feet high and I keep all the wood except for the trunk.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 417
  • flue.jpg
    flue.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 428
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 434
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 445
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 428
Hey Everyone. I am wondering if I unknowingly offending the members of hearth. I always trust and confide in the advice of this site's members and was looking forward to ideas, thoughts, and suggestions of the install I am planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

" I hate Illinois Nazi's."
This has nothing to do with the post but I just watched the Blues Brothers???

Awesome stove

Congrats on beautiful stove AND the future fuel for it! Really nice stove!
I'm not the most knowledgeable member yet but I'm gonna bet that those who are might tell you that you will get better draft with an insulated liner and an additional measure of safety etc. I had a similar short chimney and that same "vestal damper" - some ovalize through dampers like that but I didn't like the idea of squeezing that small (mine would have been 4") so my buddy took a sawzall and cut the damper out. (basically just the back part of the casting, after the damper door came out - he did the same thing that the last poster on this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45700/ describes)
If we ever sell the house or something and it needs to be returned to a working fireplace we can inexpensively install a top damper which I understand is better anyway.
As you know Folks on swear by block off plates, I don't have one yet. They use kaowool or the like up top, or some have used unfaced fiberglass etc.
I'm not sure about your question on the T!

Good luck!, I'm sure others will weigh in soon!

I cant help ya much, I like the new stove, why didnt you keep the Poplar trunk?

As for the instalation it seems like every fireplace conversion I see on here has a different twist to it. Lots of options and ways around the different problems.

I have seen ovalized adapters to get thru tight spots like yours.

Yeah, probably if your damper opening is 5" it shouldn't be as big a problem to ovalize through - perhaps without insulation on the liner? And you could still do a block off if you wanted, below the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.