Large Wood Insert Search

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lssu20

Dec 5, 2018
Michigan
Good morning, all! New member to the site, but have been reading a lot of good things on this site while in my search for a wood burning insert to throw inside my Heatilator T4800 pre-fab here in southeast Michigan. Looking for some advice from the experts here and a little direction as I am not real familiar with inserts, only older free standing stoves from our previous home.

Our current home is a 4700 square foot, open floor plan, 2 story A-frame style home, and the fireplace is in a 38' x 16' with 15' sloped down to 8' ceiling great room on one end of the house. Currently heating with propane so obviously trying to offset that cost and heat with wood as my primary heat, as we have access to plenty of oak and maple out back.

The Heatilator opening is 24" tall, 21" deep, 28" wide at the back and 40" wide at the front. Would like to be somewhere around 5k or less. Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, all! New member to the site, but have been reading a lot of good things on this site while in my search for a wood burning insert to throw inside my Heatilator T4800 pre-fab here in southeast Michigan. Looking for some advice from the experts here and a little direction as I am not real familiar with inserts, only older free standing stoves from our previous home.

Our current home is a 4700 square foot, open floor plan, 2 story A-frame style home, and the fireplace is in a 38' x 16' with 15' sloped down to 8' ceiling great room on one end of the house. Currently heating with propane so obviously trying to offset that cost and heat with wood as my primary heat, as we have access to plenty of oak and maple out back.

The Heatilator opening is 24" tall, 21" deep, 28" wide at the back and 40" wide at the front. Would like to be somewhere around 5k or less. Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.
The manual for your fireplace does not allow for the installation of an insert.

The manual for your fireplace does not allow for the installation of an insert.

Forgot to attach a pic in the original post so here is one. I must have missed that part in the manual, where does it say that at? And even if the insert going in is ZC rated?

Attachments

• 20180927_181715.jpg
    20180927_181715.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 81
Forgot to attach a pic in the original post so here is one. I must have missed that part in the manual, where does it say that at? And even if the insert going in is ZC rated?
It doesn't say no inserts but it does say no accessories or components not listed for the fireplace. And there are no inserts listed.

And no you need both the insert and fireplace manufactures to approve it.