Last Cherry of 2011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had lots of cleanup to do before starting on the Cherry but once that was done it went real good until the last cut, the Cherry barber chaired but I was out of the area by the time it happened. You coould hear it start to crack thats when I backed off, finished the cut and the Cherry dropped straight down.

Lots of nice rounds out of this clump of Cherry, not sure if I'm cutting,splitting or just hanging out tomorrow doing nothing.

Happy New Year

Zap

Attachments

• 100_1092.jpg
    100_1092.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_4477.jpg
    100_4477.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_4478.jpg
    100_4478.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_4481.jpg
    100_4481.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_4482.jpg
    100_4482.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_4483.jpg
    100_4483.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_4484.jpg
    100_4484.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 100_4485.jpg
    100_4485.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 342
Nice work zap, glad you got that done safely. Being the last for the year, how was this year as an average compared to other years?

Thanks Backwoods, I think this year I cut about the same amount of firewood even though we milled most of the summer. Did you finally get rid of the bug?

zap

Looks good zap. No freezing rain? " Do nothing tomorrow". No way, my $ is on that cherry seeing a stihl and the back of the rhino! :)

wishlist said:
Looks good zap. No freezing rain? " Do nothing tomorrow". No way, my $ is on that cherry seeing a stihl and the back of the rhino! :)

Just started to rain wishlist, good chance that the splitter will be down in that area tomorrow. Since I left a chain hanging on the tree why not bring the splitter down. :zip:

zap

zapny said:
Thanks Backwoods, I think this year I cut about the same amount of firewood even though we milled most of the summer. Did you finally get rid of the bug?

zap

Thx for asking zap, I feel a bit better, got the chimney sweep done today, but thats about all I have in me. Had a respiratory infection and got put on antibiotics. No wood cutting for me, kinda bummed out about it, but it is what it is.
I'll try for next weekend and start the year off right! Happy new year! :wow:

Very nice Zap looks like fun by the way I think you forgot your saw lol

Happy new year
Pete

Good job done ZAP. Hope you get some good weather soon to get that split and stacked. I spent time with the wife and kids and the rest of the family during vacation. And I have been helping my brother out the on his custom kitchen. That took up the whole vacation. I did not cut one bit of wood. :coolmad: I did pick up a few more loads of slab wood from the Amish at the beginning of the vacation. So, at least I got a little. Now I need to get out there on my days off and drop some White Ash. Thankfully, I have all my wood for next year all ready c/s/s. Man, I got to get out there the end of this week. I will feel a lot better when I have 2013/14 out of the woods and back at the house ready to be split!

Nice lookin carnage Zap. Happy New Year!

tfdchief, I wanted some for milling but the bigger stuff had something in the middle.

Pete1983, I've almost done that, I do have a bad habit of hanging the old chain on the knub of a tree in the area I'm cutting and leaving it. :grrr:

gasifier, something tells me you'll get your wood, how did the kitchen go?

solarandwood, the 660 with the 28 inch bar was nice on the bigger stuff, 390 with the 20 inch bar on all the other Cherry. The thing I would do over is my last cut, it would be at the base.

Happy New Year
Stuffed Full of Lasagna,Meatballs,Salad and Bread.

Zap

Must say, it was a good night for Lasagna :)

Calling for 5-7 inches this way starting tomorrow night ending Monday morning, are you getting any of the Lake Effect?

zap

UGH. I hate that cracking sound, & running like crazy from the tree, too much "pucker factor" for my liking. Good job on dropping it safely Zap. Shame you can't mill it, but wth ya gotta burn somethin. Go butcher that bad boy to work off the lasagna & mearballs. LOL A C

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

zapny said:
Calling for 5-7 inches this way starting tomorrow night ending Monday morning, are you getting any of the Lake Effect?

zap

Probably just rain, even at my elevation the 47 they are calling for at the airport tomorrow will still be over 40 here. Looks like we might be breaking out the good stuff Monday night though.

This one I never had to run (that was in the woods) just backed off about six feet, but I understand the (pucker factor).

HNY

Zap

I'm on strike until Backwoods gets off the couch! Never went outside today, I did stack some chocolate chip cookies next to the recliner before I parked my arse in it for the day.

zap

zapny said:
I'm on strike until Backwoods gets off the couch! Never went outside today, I did stack some chocolate chip cookies next to the recliner before I parked my arse in it for the day.

zap
OK, if you are on strike 'cause Backwoods is on the couch, then me too! :snake:

Zap, this has been the week from hell. I was hoping to finish splitting what I have left over and then get the wood bucked for 2013/14. It started on friday the 23rd, youngest sons school xmas party, 24th, running around last minute xmas gifts, sunday-x mas with my other son in s central pa, monday started feeling funny, wifes family visit, tues, moms birthday, wed thru fri, sick as hell, sat, cleaned chimney, dead after that, today, just wanted to split a couple splits for kindlin, accident, er, couch, zap is on strike. What else could possibly go wrong! Ill probably get death threats now ya know ! Next weekend buddy, "the first cord of 2012 css.

My neighbor still splits his own firewood (80+) takes some dings like that, he bought some shin guards like the catchers in baseball wear. If I can get this split & stacked that will be good enough for the winter.

Thats a great start for 2012, looks like the weather might be on our side after this system moves through.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.