Last pellet buy of the season Okanagans $184/ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTU said:
mascoma said:
mascoma said:
I was asking becuase there are alot of fines in bags, it's dusty when you pour them into hopper, and they seem to crumble pretty easy, alot of pellets are split lenght wise.

So no response BTU? This is normal for Okies? or did I get a subpar batch?

This doesn't sound right. These pellets normally don't have a bunch of fines in them and never do they crumble easy. BJ's took delivery in July 09, so I really can't comment if stock has been moved from store to store or exactly where it has been stored, though I would like to hope, that shouldn't be a problem. If you are not happy with any of our product, you should take it back for replacement or if they can't do that..refund...if you do a search on here about our pellets, the issues you mention are not normally a problem, so it is possible you did get some bags that weren't up to par...it can happen, but rarely.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said I have no problem dealing with the batch I have at the price I paid. I just wanted some reassurance of what is normal so I can make an educated purchase if I see them anywhere local again at normal pricing.

For as much junk as we give the Boxes sometimes BJs was great and took any of the bags back I did not want for refund. I like to use a local supplier but this deal was way better than anything any of the locals had going.

These should keep the family nice and warm next year!

treehackers said:
Ladderlieu said:
Didn't mean to start a new/old pellet debate here...

When I bought their in late January, they were selling the clear bags @ $219 a ton. When I picked up my last load 3 weeks later, the price rose to $239 a ton, and my truck was loaded with clear bags at that time as well. Were the clear bags at the store the last of the "old" pellets (made before June of 2009)? Who knows. There are no date stamps on the bags, so I can't tell if they were made May 30th of 2009 or Sept of 2008. All I know is the folks at Squire re-stacked them and took out all of the damaged bags so that the pallet I, and others, bought is good quality and dry. They burned wonderfully.

That being said, I haven't been there since roughly the beginning of February. If they're currently selling white bags of Okies (made June of 2009 to present), great! If they're still $239 a ton as their website suggests, even better! For all I know, I bought the last of the clear bags.

While it would be nice to buy pellets manufactured the week before I throw them in the Harman, that's impractical to think about when they're manufactured thousands of miles away and need to be ordered, shipped, off-loaded, re-loaded, un-loaded, placed in dealer stock, etc...

At $239 a ton as we speak, I'm probably going to order a pallet now to start next years stash. If Squires does have some sort of "sale" in April, I'll get a few more pallets worth. If not, I'll still probably get a few more pallets worth.

I bought 6 skids - close to 8 tons a little while ago at $219, all clear bags. LOTS of fines and LOTS of wet "puffed out" pellets in almost every bag. I know Okies are usually a good pellet but I've now gone through 1 whole skid and I wish I didn't have the 5 other skids left. Opening the next skid today so we'll see...

Thats why they were $219 per ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.