Lastly...(wall and ceiling)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stove board

• On wal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On ceiling too

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
sorry for all the posts forgive me I'm still a rookie!

So I have my intrepid all fixed up with the final parts on the way. Re sealed the stove up and made sure everything is up to standards. Ended up buying a hearth pad because I don't have time for much anymore. However, I'm now wondering about the drop ceiling and the wall. I know I will need some sort of protection directly behind the wall...but what about the ceiling and is protection from the black pipe needed? Again I apologize but I'm just wondering what kind of protection would be ideal in this scenario and would love to hear what you guys have to say because I'm trying to do this as SAFE, efficient, and legal as possible...thanks hearth guys! (Mind the acoustic treatment in the wall it is getting removed!)

Attachments

• Lastly...(wall and ceiling)
    image.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Lastly...(wall and ceiling)
    image.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 125
The ceiling will be fine like it is. The ceiling support box will hang a few inches below the tiles, nothing more is needed.

Reactions: Kosmonauts
No problem, read the articles and pay particular attention to instructions on clearances to any combustibles. For sure there will be more questions. No extra shielding is required as long as clearances are honored or exceeded.

Some questions to consider: Do you know if you are going to use single-wall or double-wall stove pipe to connect the stove to the wall thimble? How close to the ceiling will the top of the thimble be? Does the stove have a rear heat shield installed on it?

Ok man thanks it's not go by straight up...but up and then 90 out...the wall behind is ok your saying
Just make sure you maintaince your clearances above the horizontal section of stovepipe.

No problem, read the articles and pay particular attention to instructions on clearances to any combustibles. For sure there will be more questions. No extra shielding is required as long as clearances are honored or exceeded.

Some questions to consider: Do you know if you are going to use single-wall or double-wall stove pipe to connect the stove to the wall thimble? How close to the ceiling will the top of the thimble be? Does the stove have a rear heat shield installed on it?
No rear heat shield, and I could use double wall black pipe if that is safer and better...I'm not sure also of the distance from thimble to ceiling but will know this week...

Shop around and see if you can get the rear heat shield for this stove. It will make a large reduction in the rear clearance that could eliminate the need for a rear wall shield. Otherwise a proper wall shield would be needed for clearance reduction from 30" to 16". Regardless, I'd take down the acoustic foam behind the stove pipe.

single-wall pipe has 18" minimum clearance needed in all directions. double-wall requires 6" from the wall and 9" from the ceiling. There is no problem in exceeding minimum clearances.

Shop around and see if you can get the rear heat shield for this stove. It will make a large reduction in the rear clearance that could eliminate the need for a rear wall shield. Otherwise a proper wall shield would be needed for clearance reduction from 30" to 16". Regardless, I'd take down the acoustic foam behind the stove pipe.

single-wall pipe has 18" minimum clearance needed in all directions. double-wall requires 6" from the wall and 9" from the ceiling. There is no problem in exceeding minimum clearances.
Ok thanks so much you guys have really been a tremendous help.

Do you personally have double wall stove pipe? That stuff is so much more expensive than the single wall, and I haven't really gone cheap, but funds are kind of low now having spent what I've spent on parts, hearth, and chimney. I'm going to try to shop around like you said and possibly get that goin. Definetely will remove any combustibles and anything in the area that could be trouble. This is my first time so I appreciate the patience and understanding from you all big time...I just don't know how hot this thing is gonna get and want to be overly safe wherever possible! I may try to come out of the wall as low as possible so the ceiling isn't a problem and all I have to worry about is the wall...a heat shield may be the only thing left on the list then! Thanks so much again!

Yes, our stove has double-wall pipe. A warmer flue drafts better. Warmer flues also have less tendency to accumulate creosote because the flue gases stay over the condensation temp.

Yes, double-wall stove pipe.

No problem as long as you don't ask me to bare with you. ::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.