Latex enhanced thin set?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I am using that Schulter Ditra stuff as underlayment in my bathroom, it mentions NOT to use latex-modified thinset or premixed thin-set and just use water mixed unmodified thinset for the tile application. It can be used to lay the Ditra to the OSB/plywood... I'm not sure if I know what latex-modified thinset is? I've been using thinset with this Admix stuff that is supposed to be stronger than water, but it is still a mix... The admix jug says it's a liquid polymer that makes the thinset stronger... Then the caution label says it's a latex emulsion...

Is this what Schulter is saying NOT to use for the tile application???

Jay

You might want to check over on the John Bridge - Tile your world forums, as they are the real experts, but there are regular dry mix tile adhesives that are "latex modified" which means they contain latex in some way that is supposed to be more resistant to thermal changes. The Ditra tech pages should give you a standards number or equivalent that you can use when shopping for the appropriate mix.

Gooserider

You can purchase dry latex fortified mortar or fortify it by taking plain mortar and adding the liquid latex you mentioned. Latex fortification is typically used in wetter areas. Because the Schlutter-Ditra product itself provides a waterproof layer between the floor's surface and the underlayment latex fortification is not needed, or apparently recommended. The SD product is great for cracked and less stable floors as it allows for some lateral movement. It will not, however, provide any benefit if your floor flexes vertically too much.

I've done a lot of tile and used the SD successfully.

Good luck.

Thanks, the floor tiling is done, I'm actually putting the fixtures back (toilet went in last night), vanity goes in today. I used the latex stuff for under the SD and plain old water and thinset for the tiling as recommended. Looks nice!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.