lawn advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We've been overseeding our yard with dwarf white clover about every three years and really like the results. We use no herbicides or fertilizers. The turf's not perfect but the grass loves the nitrogen fixed by the clover and the bees love the clover flowers.
I'll admit though that what we've ended up with is hardly something your typical McMansion dweller would be proud of.
The deer like it though.
View attachment 325288
That's my kind of lawn. I Throw more clover seed out every few years. Grows in pretty bad soil and like you said, the bees love it. I saw on an episode of This Old House where the large sod production farms in the New England states have been using more and more clover. I think its becoming what the McMansions are using also now.

We've been overseeding our yard with dwarf white clover about every three years and really like the results. We use no herbicides or fertilizers. The turf's not perfect but the grass loves the nitrogen fixed by the clover and the bees love the clover flowers.
I'll admit though that what we've ended up with is hardly something your typical McMansion dweller would be proud of.
The deer like it though.
View attachment 325288
Thank you,
it is a multifunctional solution, very natural, the deer is gorgeous !
I think I'll also focus on the dwarf clover, eventually I will add a stone container if possible,
for the bees, to always have water.

Thank you,
it is a multifunctional solution, very natural, the deer is gorgeous !
I think I'll also focus on the dwarf clover, eventually I will add a stone container if possible,
for the bees, to always have water.
Our neighbors keep honeybees. We see them often in the clover and drinking in our birdbaths.
I was thinking about asking for a discount on the honey they sell. ;)

Reactions: Prometeo
That's my kind of lawn. I Throw more clover seed out every few years. Grows in pretty bad soil and like you said, the bees love it. I saw on an episode of This Old House where the large sod production farms in the New England states have been using more and more clover. I think its becoming what the McMansions are using also now.
From what I read, before broadleaf weed killers became popular for lawns, a grass/clover mix was quite common.

Reactions: Ashful
Our neighbors keep honeybees. We see them often in the clover and drinking in our birdbaths.
I was thinking about asking for a discount on the honey they sell. ;)
It seems right to me, I would also say a jar of honey free !

A note, honey maximum 40 degrees Celsius, dissolved in liquid or it will lose all properties, according to my knowledge.

first setup! 🐝
IMG_20240303_114838.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
little by little things are improving, unfortunately even the wild boars noticed it, they dig holes everywhere looking for earthworms now !
How do you like your wild boar meat? It's not senseless murder, if someone eats it. ::-)

wild boar meet is fantastic. Common dish where I grew up.
(Though hunting is regulated as they are not invasive species as in the US where they really do a lot of damage to e.g. amfibians in the Smoky Mountains or agriculture in TX).

I really like it but not to my family, and therefore I rarely eat it. The hunters here are always partying, they cook wild boars in all ways

Yes, in fact, I was thinking about finding a remedy to discourage them, or call hunting friends, because in addition to many holes, I also found a partially excavated fruit tree, and I fear for the other trees.

wild boar meet is fantastic. Common dish where I grew up.
(Though hunting is regulated as they are not invasive species as in the US where they really do a lot of damage to e.g. amfibians in the Smoky Mountains or agriculture in TX).
I don't understand if you are referring to Italy, however, it is currently very invasive, until 15 years ago you could grow vegetables, without particular attention, Today, the first thing, you have to make a very resistant fence if you want to grow vegetables, in central Italy. It is a mixed Asian breed that reproduces very quickly.

I was referring to The Netherlands (my old country) where they are native. Quite "invasive" in behavior, but naturally belonging (i.e. the invasive behavior is due to humans encroaching on what used to be their territory).
In the US wild boar were nonexistent and introduced by (us) d*mn europeans. And the ecosystem here is not used to them. Rare amfibians being endangered by their digging. And lots of agricultural damage as well.

The only way to improve clay in any type of short time is to cover it. As your trees grow, they will be able to naturally cover it with fallen leaves. The organic matter will keep the clay moist and roots will be able to penetrate it.

Check out the YouTube video Back to Eden to see how 1 guy beat back his clay soil.

Check out myrtle. It’s probably called something different over there. Search Vinca minor as it’s the scientific name. It’s a sun loving ground over. It’s native to Portugal and France, so maybe it’ll take dry well. The Iberian peninsula is very dry away from the shore.

This, I have clay soil and one of the ways I get it going is to lay down a bit of seed and then feed my sheep hay over a concentrated area (Think 20-30 head in a quarter acre). The hooves churn up the soil and embed the seeds. Then it gets a long rest to do its thing and is not grazed until its really taking hold. Not everyone has sheep on hand but the concept remains.