Advice on cleaning/restoration coal burner/stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chintzybang

Feb 29, 2024
Uk
Hi,

Just purchased first wood/coal burner.

Need some advice around appropriate cleaning techniques and advice regarding painting.

I guess the top and front section with glass are enamel, but the body of the stove looks slightly different, so hoping this can be cleaned and repainted but not sure.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_9127.jpegIMG_9128.jpegIMG_9129.jpegIMG_9131.jpegIMG_9130.jpeg

I recently watched a video where a similar stove was rebuilt. The body of the stove was sheet metal with refractory inside. If that’s the case with yours, you could sand and repaint, but be careful you don’t sand through the sheet metal. Since the sheet metal is so thin, make sure the refractory is in good shape so the heat doesn’t burn through the thin metal.

High temperature paint can be used on the metal.

Your floor protection looks a bit light in front. You may want to fix that before burning.

I recently watched a video where a similar stove was rebuilt. The body of the stove was sheet metal with refractory inside. If that’s the case with yours, you could sand and repaint, but be careful you don’t sand through the sheet metal. Since the sheet metal is so thin, make sure the refractory is in good shape so the heat doesn’t burn through the thin metal.

High temperature paint can be used on the metal.

Your floor protection looks a bit light in front. You may want to fix that before burning.
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I dont suppose you know the link to the video you watched?

There is a shaker handle on the lower right side and the air feed. The other thread has clearer pictures with the front door open. The air feed is under the base of the fire with the coal basket above. The stove has a liner.