1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lawn Tractor

Post in 'The Gear' started by HittinSteel, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Hmmm. (whistles at price tag....)

Guy wants a lotta coin for a rattle can special that has a 12.5 HP engine with a 48" deck. (Gonna be underpowered in moderate to heavy conditions...)

EDIT: Wait a second..... That's not a 165. That's an LX100 series machine with a 165 hood "engineered" in place...... WTH.....
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I would not even run herbbie in that thing.....I would use it for tree's shrubs and garden.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

MasterMech likes this.
  6. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    smokinj likes this.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  8. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I don't really want a "fixer" up......unless I have to "fixer" up down the road.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yea I was just throwing the deere bomb....;)
  10. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I think the used Deere's might be a little overpriced used........kind of like a certain saw brand in my area
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You live in a tough place...lol Around here there going pretty cheap.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Yeah... took me a little while to get used to the hand hydro on the Cub 123, esp. when backing up short trailers / tow-behind implements. Foot hydro on the Deere is much more intuitive to anyone who's ever driven a car.

There was one advantage to the hand hydro on the Cub, though. I'd set it to crawl forward slowly alongside me, as I'd be edging, weeding, or picking up branches in the yard. I'd just walk along working, the Cub would slowly cruise by my side. Can't do that too safely with the Deere.
  13. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  14. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I called on that one, it's not hydrostatic
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Hydrostatic is nice (I own two myself), but I grew up mowing with manual gear shifters, and never saw it as any problem. The only app where I find hydro to be an advantage is plowing snow, as I need to do a lot of shifting fwd/rev when I plow.
    smokinj likes this.
  16. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    the push pedal drives on the old Bolens hydro's is awesome

old JD"s like the 110 with a gear box with a low 1st gear and also have the 'variator' which adjusts speed by pulling the lever, lots of flexibility (so if your in 3rd but really need to be in gear 2.5 so to say, pull the variator and adjust)
    having had both, hydro is nice but I would worry more about buying a solid good running unit than hydro vs gear box

tons of parts availability for old JD's, hell just look at ebay

it sounds like a big walk behind might be what you really want
    Joful likes this.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

The variator system is great, if it's working perfectly (which it usually is), but nothing Deere ever built with a variator turns worth a damn. ;lol

HittinSteel would be doin' a lot of 3 pt turns and gear bangin' on an old 100/200 series GT. ;) (He specified tight spaces)

A decent 36" commercial walk-behind will far exceed HS's budget of $500. I just sold an old Bunton 36" in great mechanical/good cosmetic shape for $700.
    smokinj likes this.
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Good machines, totally different deck philosophy than Deere. More expensive than either of the Deere's you were considering? (STX38 Hydro for $400, LT155 for $500)
  19. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Bottom line with CL. The good stuff doesn't last the day. You need to be on top of it and react immediately to get the good stuff.
    Joful likes this.
  20. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    If I had to do it again, I would NOT have bought the John Deere 100 series I got from the Big Box store in 2006. The zerks are a PITA to get at, one of them is facing the inside, so unless you take off the mower deck, you will tear up your knuckles getting to it.

Look for a used Cub Cadet, I have not heard of anyone around here having that many complaints. Just my opinion.
  21. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

13 mm wrench/socket. Pull the covers. Much easier. ;) Or go whole hog and unbolt the spindles, rotate them to position the zerks where you want them. Then plan on pulling the covers to grease it. Agreed that it was a silly design, what was wrong with the zerk being on top of the spindle shaft? <>
    TreePointer likes this.
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

An OLD cub cadet. Plenty of complaints regarding the post-MTD buyout models (mid 80's onward).
    firefighterjake likes this.
  23. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

1981 or earlier, to be specific. If it doesn't have an "IH" badge, it's not a real Cub Cadet.
    MasterMech likes this.
  24. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio

Yep, I'd love to have a 36" walk behind.......... if I could find a good machine from someone like you, I'd come up on my budget
    MasterMech likes this.
  25. [​IMG]
    MasterMech, HittinSteel and smokinj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.