Leaf Blower and Cleaning Brush Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
Did a search but wanted to ask as well. When you guys use the leaf blower to clean vent pipe do you also use a cleaning brush? And if so do you use the cleaning brush first and then the leaf blower.
Or leaf blower then cleaning brush then leaf blower again?

Another question is do you need to take apart the cleanout on the T before using leaf blower or will the leaf blower suck out everything in the T? So you dont need to remove cleanout on T?

I use a vent brush first, then the leaf blower.

I use the leaf blower to remove residue that I've loosened with a brush and scraper. The blower itself won't remove stuck-on ash and residue.

Yes, the brush needs to be run up & down the pipe a few times, and then the stove should be thoroughly cleaned BEFORE using the leaf blower. It is meant to get the very last bit of ash that is normally hidden and can't be gotten out by normal cleaning methods.

Besides using the traditional brush, many of us have bought and are using a LintEater to clean our stove pipes.....makes the job very easy, and does a great cleaning job:

www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEater-10-Piece-Cleaning/dp/B0014CN8Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335306955&sr=8-1

Reactions: Defiant
If you have a krooser modified jet assist leaf blower you don't have to use a brush but you have to make certain the stove and everything in it is well fastened down.

I do a regular cleaning first then use the beast.

Reactions: Defiant
Tap the vent pipes, brush where you can reach, clean anything you have access to, then "let it rip". I open and close the door a few times while the leaf blower (vacuum mode) is running. Don't forget to disconnect the stove's vacuum switch hose. One more thing, unless the stove is empty, you might was to plug the pellet shoot with a paper towel or you risk having the pellets sucked right out of the hopper into the stove while you are cleaning. Don’t forget to take the paper towel out after cleaning. ;lol

Yep... As others stated. Use last. The leaf blower is an addition to your cleaning. Its not a replacement for cleaning.

All other tasks should be completed. Then hook up and do the LBT

Yes, the brush needs to be run up & down the pipe a few times, and then the stove should be thoroughly cleaned BEFORE using the leaf blower. It is meant to get the very last bit of ash that is normally hidden and can't be gotten out by normal cleaning methods.

Besides using the traditional brush, many of us have bought and are using a LintEater to clean our stove pipes.....makes the job very easy, and does a great cleaning job:

www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEater-10-Piece-Cleaning/dp/B0014CN8Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335306955&sr=8-1
Will this work on a 4 inch vent? Or is it better for 3 inch vent?

Will this work on a 4 inch vent? Or is it better for 3 inch vent?
It is a 4" brush. So it works great on a 4" system. But it still works on a 3" also. I have a lint-eater and use it on my 4" furnace vent and two 3" vents. 3" is a little tighter, but the bristles are flexible enough to where it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.