Using a leaf blower as part of your cleaning process, I have questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe.G

Jan 21, 2018
NY
Does anyone have a good You tube video on using a leaf blower for lean out? I have heard of it many times but never really found a good video on how to do it. Does it have to be a Elec one can I use a gas one?

Thanks

Nope but I'd like to see that.

I'll try to remember to make a video next time I do it, but the process is straightforward: I take the top off of the chimney, I rest the bottom of the leaf blower on top of the chimney, and crank it up. This sucks the ash out of the chimney, producing a big black cloud. If you have neighbors downwind, I would not recommend it, but otherwise it's an incredibly simple way to clean the chimney.

Reactions: tbear853
Okay so it needs to be an electric one? I don't own one so i am not sure exactly how the Gas and Elec ones differ in operation.

I am not sure why I am having such a hard time grasping this, Electric leaf blows suck as well as blow? I am watching videos but none seem to really explain it.

Anyone have a link to a blower they suggest that will work?

Some leaf blowers come with a vacuum/leaf shredder some do not. You can modify a non vacuum/leaf shredder one to work by siliconing pvc adaper on to it. But it is much easier to get one with the vacuum/leaf shredder most times you can just stick the vacuum tube right onto your vent and it will work, some get a rubber pipe adapter for a tighter fit the size of the rubber adapter would depend on the size of your vent and the size of the vacuum/leaf shredder tube. You want to have both the vacuum tube and the blower tube on because with the blower tube on it pushes the ash further away from you. You might also want to check the wind direction, lol. Gas powered leaf blower would also work especially if they have the vacuum function. I usually do mine twice a year, at the end of the heating season, and sometime in January when stove starts to run poorer because vent pipe is getting plugged.

1704308704706.png

1704309046049.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I have been researching and I didn't realize that some had a vacuum feature, Just not something I expected on a leaf blower.

I made a brief video so you can see how I do it:

It works well with our corded electric leaf blower, but the cordless version won't work. I've never had a gas powered leaf blower, so I'm not sure if that's an option.

Btw, the chimney had just recently been cleaned, so typically, I'll get a lot more soot coming out. Fortunately, we don't have any close neighbors, but if you do, you might not want to do this...

Nowhereman, Thank you for taking the time to explain this, I did not realize that Elec leaf blowers had a vacuum function. It all makes sense now. So basically I would clean out the burn pot/chamber and then let this do the rest? it will keep the exhaust blower clean as well? I have no neighbors so that is not a concern, I am secluded like you but I do have a bit more yard lol.

I have one of the toro electric blowers, I have never tried this though.
If I wanted to give it a try, for no other reason than to make a big cloud of dust. am I leaving the stove door sealed I assume to create the vacuum, well not so much vacuum as it would pull air in through the combustion fan intake.

Mine is direct vent straight through the wall maybe 4 foot long if that, I clean everything up well then have a pull though brush, I go outside and the GF is inside she pushed the handle thorough and I pull the brush through, we do this 3 or 4 times and sometimes she wraps an old rag around the bush to help it clean better. But it is no where as impressive as using a leaf blower.

I didn't realize this is for a pellet stove. I have seen them do this with the vent pipes for the pellet stoves and dryer vents.

Do you think this would work for a woodstove flue? Or making an adapter for 6" pipe and connecting it at the back of the stove and blowing up and out the top of the chimney pipe?

Unhook the hose from the vacuum switch on your stove, some have broken the switch by creating to much vacuum with the leaf blower.

Do you think this would work for a woodstove flue?
6 inch flue might not create enough vacuum to suck anything out. Pellet stoves make alot of ash that sets in the horizontal vent pipe. Most wood stoves have a more vertical path.

You just gave me an idea though. Maybe a blower adapter to the bottom of the Wood Stove flue pipe while sweeping from the top? With a mask on it might work by blowing the swept soot up and out vs down the pipe. Might be good for clay flue tile situations. I always get fine soot dust in the house when doing conventional sweep from the top. Even when plastic drops are taped off over the whole stove/fireplace area.

Bad idea, there’s been a few try it and have covered the inside of their house with dust and soot not to mention irate wives

Your best bet is to get ahold of a Toro, they have a powerful vacuum and attach it to the top of your exhaust and letter rip, use an air compressor on the firebox and your stove will run like new

I use a Craftsman gas powered leaf blower/vac to clean my exhausts (much like this one, just an earlier model I think). I use the rubber adapter that @ARC shows.

Some leaf blowers come with a vacuum/leaf shredder some do not. You can modify a non vacuum/leaf shredder one to work by siliconing pvc adaper on to it. But it is much easier to get one with the vacuum/leaf shredder most times you can just stick the vacuum tube right onto your vent and it will work, some get a rubber pipe adapter for a tighter fit the size of the rubber adapter would depend on the size of your vent and the size of the vacuum/leaf shredder tube. You want to have both the vacuum tube and the blower tube on because with the blower tube on it pushes the ash further away from you. You might also want to check the wind direction, lol. Gas powered leaf blower would also work especially if they have the vacuum function. I usually do mine twice a year, at the end of the heating season, and sometime in January when stove starts to run poorer because vent pipe is getting plugged.

View attachment 321971

View attachment 321972

However, my stove exhaust terminations come out vertically from the wall so I'm not trying to lug the blower onto the roof. But, one of those terminations is about 5' off the ground and I have to stand there and hold the blower and it gets heavy after a minute holding it at head height - LOL. The blower does get wicked dirty and I'm on my second one in 10 years. That may sound bad but I have always bought used ones off of CL, and don't do any maintenance besides add gas/oil, so really can't complain.

I do a good cleaning of my stoves before the LBT. I unplug the stove from electrical sources and crack the door open (using the pot scraper to keep it from closing from the suction). I've never done anything with the vacuum switches - but that is why I leave the door cracked. If you close the door, definitely unhook those.

Reactions: ARC and Washed-Up
My Exhaust comes straight out of the wall, Probably 3 to 4 foot of pipe, I can take the portion of the pipe that goes up off easily enough and clean that with pipe brush. it would be nice to find a blower that does not need to use and adapter.

I am looking at this unit.

Reactions: ARC
That would work but it seems to be out of stock. Most vacuum leaf blowers have a suction tube that comes in two pieces the smaller piece is usually 5 inches in diameter it would fit over 3 and 4 inch vent pipe. No adapter need if applied to vertical pipe and no adapter need for horizontal pipe if you want to stand there and hold it on. The rubber adapter is only needed if you want a tighter seal or want to attach it to horizontal pipe and want to leave while it is running. My vent is in a corner of the house if I turned leaf blower on and stood there I would be covered in soot. I stick the leaf blower on turn switch on walk 20 ft away and plug power cord in outlet stay completely out of soot cloud.

Probably 3 to 4 foot of pipe, I can take the portion of the pipe that goes up off

Do you have a clean out T out side the clean out cap can be removed and leaf blower attached there is there is enough room under it for leaf blower or elbow adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe.G
Your best bet is to get ahold of a Toro, they have a powerful vacuum and attach it to the top of your exhaust and letter rip, use an air compressor on the firebox and your stove will run like new

I do have that toro but at my Utah place. Will get one here in Nj and give this a try. Thanks

Reactions: Washed-Up
Yes I have a clean out, I think I would rest it on something and not let just the pipe hold it up. Maybe come up with some sort of hose attachment to direct the soot away from the house better. I found a place with the one I linked to that has it in stock for a good price.

So The Worx Leaf blow is supposed to be here today, I am going to unhook the Vacuum sensor and leave the door shut, This method should be strong enough where I wont have to take the exhaust blow off or clean between behind the side access panels? If I only have to remove the blower once a year for end of season cleaning would be great. The Exhaust pipe where I am going to hook up to is only about 2 to 3 FT of straight pipe right into the stove.

Reactions: Washed-Up and ARC