leaf blower trick shop vac style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
Cleaned my stove today really well.
I don't have a leaf blower that'll work to clean out my stove as many do here. I made an attachment for my shop vac that works wonders.
I used a 3" PVC coupler over a section of pell vent. I put a toilet tank to bowl gasket in the coupler, inserted the shop vac hose and I was set. Turned on the vac, used some compressed air, and my stove was cleaner than it ever was.

I did it that way till I got my leafblower (2nd one/strictly for stove) The Shop Vac worked well for a couple seasons. It was a 6.5 HP unit that now resides in the basement and uts duties are the pellet sifter now..

They do a good job if sealed well, like you did... Congrats.

My little 5 gallon shop vac with its 3 HP motor wouldn't cut it. The stuff I see today probably does a dandy job. No smoked out neighbors either! ;-)

j-takeman said:
My little 5 gallon shop vac with its 3 HP motor wouldn't cut it. The stuff I see today probably does a dandy job. No smoked out neighbors either! ;-)

I'm going to try my big shop vac next time, and remove the filter completely. I have 2 long rigid extensions that I can put together (6') and stick out through the sliding door in the LR attached to the output side......should be a nice smoke show. (Note to self.....make sure wind is blowing from the west when doing this, or things could get ugly and dirty real fast.... %-P )

imacman said:
j-takeman said:

I'm going to try my big shop vac next time, and remove the filter completely. I have 2 long rigid extensions that I can put together (6') and stick out through the sliding door in the LR attached to the output side......should be a nice smoke show. (Note to self.....make sure wind is blowing from the west when doing this, or things could get ugly and dirty real fast.... %-P )

Remember pics or else....

Cleaned the wood stove in my usual way with the Shop Vac sitting out on the deck and long hose a few years ago. Had my head in the stove vac'ing away. When I backed out of the stove the entire den and kitchen was filled with a cloud of soot. A chunk of cold wood from the ash bed had nuked the filter and my pulling on the hose had aimed the vac exhaust right at the open deck door.

Took weeks to clean the downstairs.

j-takeman said:
Does anyone remember geeks oops last year?

I remember the verbal description. Had ahella LOL

Don't recall seeing any pics.

Then I guess it probly wasn't a Kodak moment.

I use my Rainbow Vac to clean out my pellet stove. It has a water tank for a dust collector and nothing gets out of that. Have it sitting right next to the stove and not a speck of ash from it. When I'm done I just dump the cruddy water outside and rinse with a hose.

So I can't use a shop vac to clean my stove out then ? If I have a drywall dust filter on it. This is my first year only burned my stove a few times so far but was going to clean it good before cold season starts.
Ed

referee38 said:
So I can't use a shop vac to clean my stove out then ? If I have a drywall dust filter on it. This is my first year only burned my stove a few times so far but was going to clean it good before cold season starts.
Ed

Sure you can, just remember the drywall filter and above all else be careful about what port on the vacuum you hook the attachments to.

Using the blow instead of suck port and inserting attachment into ashes is a no no in the house.

I've been using a Shop Vac and a Lint eater http://www.linteater.com/ for two years now. Going on my 3rd season of burning. This seems to work well and haven't had any problems with my burn. I'm able to push the brush as far up the stove pipe as possible without getting into the combustion fan. I use a second small shop vac with standard filter and dry wall dust filter for inside cleaning. But I"m wondering if the fins on the exhaust/combustion blower are getting clean with my method. Has anyone ever compared the blower trick to a shop vac to see if its removing more material?

Hattrick said:
I've been using a Shop Vac and a Lint eater http://www.linteater.com/ for two years now. Going on my 3rd season of burning. This seems to work well and haven't had any problems with my burn. I'm able to push the brush as far up the stove pipe as possible without getting into the combustion fan. I use a second small shop vac with standard filter and dry wall dust filter for inside cleaning. But I"m wondering if the fins on the exhaust/combustion blower are getting clean with my method. Has anyone ever compared the blower trick to a shop vac to see if its removing more material?

You should remove the combustion blower and really clean the vanes.

The leaf blower can usually get more crud out of the system than the shop vac but that can change depending upon the relative air flows through the devices. Not all shop vacs and leaf blowers are the same.

j-takeman said:
Does anyone remember geeks oops last year?

I don't.....lol

gyingling said:
Rainbow Vac, don't they set you back about $1500?
Bought it 30 years ago to do the house. Was around $750 then...and still running like a top.

Status
Not open for further replies.