Leak on 26ton Iron and Oak Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
As I mentioned earlier, I bought an Iron and Oak log splitter. This morning, I went to check on it and other things and I noticed a leak on the valve. It was at the bolt on the lower right of the valve. Collar to tighten it seemed loose so I got that tight again, and I cleaned it up. What is the purpose of this bolt and collar on the valve? I checked the I&O manual and it is silent on what it does.

Attachments

• IMG_4616 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4616 (640x480).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_4615 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4615 (640x480).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 292
I'm just guessing, but it would do one of two things, set the relief pressure or the auto-return kickout resistance.

Judging from location I'm guessing pressure relief as well.

It shouldn't leak but then how much is it leaking? My 8 year old splitter leaks a tiny amount from the spool... just enough to collect some dust. With nearly 5 gallons in the reserve tank, I'm not worried about it.

Not much at all. Enough to make a small mess on the shop floor, but not enough to drop the reservoir at all. I would like to stop it, but if I have to ignore then I will.

Call the factory, 1-800-350-8739 during regular busness hours.(cst) Ask for Linda or Jesse. Explain the problem. They have always been more than willing to help. We live 15mi from them.
Tom

You just bought it new a few months ago didn't you?
They may just R&R the valves assembly for you.
Leaking like this new, it may just get worse as it gets used. "O" rings don't heal themselves.
My guess is one got pinched during assembly, you just got unlucky & got it.
It's gonna bother you every time you see the oil spot
I'd check with them for sure. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.