Leaking Duravent pellet pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Upstate NY
Just finished my basement install of my Englander and everything has gone well so far.

When I go to fire up the baby I smell smoke, and sure enough using a flashlight and lights out I can see small wisps of smoke from some joints. The biggest culprits are a 90 elbow seams, 45 elbow seams, male end of the adjustable pipe where it is riveted, and clean out tee. All these leaks have me nervous.

I've tried some foil tape where I see leaks and that seems to work okay but I am a little worried that might not hold up long term.

I called a local dealer and he said you need silicone on all the joints despite it being a PITA to get apart later on. I am frustrated I must wait 24 hours to hear back from Duravent's Tech Support.

What do you recommend I do to get this system sealed up permanently without worry, and also in a way I can at least get some things apart later on.

Kinda' wishing I had gone with Excel like the other stove, though the pocket book would not have liked that.

Unfortunately I think the silicone and tape are the only solution, unless they swap out the pipe for new, but chances are the new pipe would leak , there have been other forum members having leaks with there duravent pipe.

dac122 said:
Just finished my basement install of my Englander and everything has gone well so far.

I've tried some foil tape where I see leaks and that seems to work okay but I am a little worried that might not hold up long term.

What do you recommend I do to get this system sealed up permanently without worry, and also in a way I can at least get some things apart later on......

Congrats on the install. (don't forget pics! LOL).

IMO, I'd use the foil tape. It goes on easy, can be cut w/ a utility knife easily if something needs to come apart later, and is much less messy. Try taking a joint apart that has been siliconed together....you'll wish you used the foil tape.

As for the tape not holding up, I used it to tape seams on my oil burner pipe in the basement, and that gets a LOT hotter....5 years later, it's still sealed.....no worries.

One last thought....if you DO decide to use the tape, clean the pipe (while cool, obviously) w/ a rag & rubbing alcohol to remove residiual oil so the tape sticks well.

macman said:
Congrats on the install. (don't forget pics! LOL).

IMO, I'd use the foil tape. It goes on easy, can be cut w/ a utility knife easily if something needs to come apart later, and is much less messy. Try taking a joint apart that has been siliconed together....you'll wish you used the foil tape.

As for the tape not holding up, I used it to tape seams on my oil burner pipe in the basement, and that gets a LOT hotter....5 years later, it's still sealed.....no worries.

One last thought....if you DO decide to use the tape, clean the pipe (while cool, obviously) w/ a rag & rubbing alcohol to remove residiual oil so the tape sticks well.

Thanks macman. I have already taped a few of the seams while the stove is running to get an instant repair but plan to go back and redo.

I know exactly what you mean about the silicone - it virtually welds things together. I was thinking of putting silicone on anything I don't think I will ever have to get apart, and tape on the last few seams. I know some folks have posted about using higher quality foil tape also. What do you think?

Here's a fuzzy pic:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=79949&l=10a432d396&id=100000248687190

I had the same problem with mine as well. I ended up using Red RTV sealant, available at auto parts stores. I put it on pretty heavy and it sealed it nicely. It can be put on while hot as well.

Has anyone had experience with a particular High Temp Silicone that seems easier to get things apart later on?

dac122 said:
.....I was thinking of putting silicone on anything I don't think I will ever have to get apart, and tape on the last few seams. I know some folks have posted about using higher quality foil tape also. What do you think? Here's a fuzzy pic:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=79949&l=10a432d396&id=100000248687190

Good idea on siliconing only things that probably won't have to come apart ever, and taping the rest. As for better tape, that's all up to your wallet. :lol:

The pic is fine...stove looks great!

Permatex has Ultra black high temp sealant. Not as noticable as the red stuff.

Pipes you are not going to take apart use the sealant inside and out. If you want to take it apart just seal the outside. You can use sealant or tape. Tape is easier to remove as macman said.

Does your pipe have silicone O-rings built into each pipe joint? This is their newest pipe and we have been having a lot better luck with it not leaking.

jtp10181 said:
Does your pipe have silicone O-rings built into each pipe joint? This is their newest pipe and we have been having a lot better luck with it not leaking.

My pipe has the rope gaskets, no rubber o-rings. I believe what you are talking about is the Duravent Pro. Correct me if I am wrong.

The rope gaskets is really old stuff, hasn't been in their catalog for years. I don't know where places are still getting it. Either someone has it stockpiled someplace or Simpson still makes it to sell cheap to big box stores.

Yes the o-ring is new for the duravent pro in their 2009 line. The 2008ish duravent pro had no seal at all, just metal on metal. It worked pretty good but the o-ring adds that extra seal needed for no smoke at all. I think they changed thier elbows a little also, to prevent leaks.

jtp10181 said:
The rope gaskets is really old stuff, hasn't been in their catalog for years. I don't know where places are still getting it. Either someone has it stockpiled someplace or Simpson still makes it to sell cheap to big box stores.

Yes the o-ring is new for the duravent pro in their 2009 line. The 2008ish duravent pro had no seal at all, just metal on metal. It worked pretty good but the o-ring adds that extra seal needed for no smoke at all. I think they changed thier elbows a little also, to prevent leaks.

I purchased my parts from Lowes and so I suspect it is the old pipe no longer in their catalog. An o-ring would definitely help, and redesign of the elbows I have.

I will try to get working what I have based on some of the suggestions here.

Thanks to all.

Duravent leaks like a sieve...

Nothing that a tube of high temp silicone won't fix. Put a thin film over the joints - let it dry before running the stove.. The cleanout T is the worst, just fill the seams on that thing..

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks for all the great real world suggestions that will likely trump anything Duravent has to say. Still waiting to hear from them to see what they have to say.

Keep the great suggestions coming...

dac122 said:
Thanks for all the great real world suggestions that will likely trump anything Duravent has to say. Still waiting to hear from them to see what they have to say.

Keep the great suggestions coming...

Would love to know what Dura Vent says. I spoke with them and they said silicone inside the joints should do it. I still had leaks. Taped my joints, and the bottom of the T with foil tape. Looks terrible but until I can buy new Selkirk it will have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.