Leaner from hell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Had this big Aspen come down in a storm, next to the road, easy access so i thought it'd be a piece of cake. The trunk kinda twisted and bent in the wind so it was like half down just hanging there. Figured one cut and it'd be laying on the ground. Well i make the cut and the damn thing balances right on the edge and will not come down. So i hook the truck up to it and start pulling and jerking and the damn thing will still not move. Truck wouldnt pull it up and off the angled cut no matter how hard i tried. So i ended up having to cut it again a couple feet up the trunk to finally get it on the ground, which i didnt like all that much. I swear no other tree in the forest is as wet as a freshly cut Aspen. Those things just drip water when they are cut. Im always amazed at how heavy the wood feels fresh cut and then once its dried how light it becomes .
Anyways, that was part of my weekend cutting.

IMG_20140920_155514.jpg IMG_20140920_155531.jpg .

Man sorry you had such a hard time, I hate situations like that.

Yeah. Ive got a big pin oak thats laying on its side. But the trunk is still 6 foot in the air. All i can do is whittle away at the limbs and try to guess which way it wants to roll. I hate situations like that. Glad you got it down.

I think almost every Aspen i have ever cut down has been loaded with black ants now that i think about it. Damn things just spill out when you cut or split.

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.