leaning stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
currently, i am single stacking on some 2x4s. i find that all of my stacks develop a lean towards the more exposed sun side and about half of them have toppled at one point or another.

i plan to build a lean-to shed off my house this summer to store about 4.5 cords (stack height ideally around 5.5ft). i'm planning to use pallets for my base, so my rows will be three deep.

this lean-to will likely not see any sun and will have little wind (ideal, i know!). so, will my stacks lean? if so, will they lean houseward or outward?

I'm leaning towards the position that its possible or not ;)

Reactions: saewoody
I’ve never noticed any consistent sunward or windward lean to my stacks. I think it’s pretty random, dependent on the care and wood you put into each one.

I will say I have much more trouble with my 17”-18” splits for the BKs, than I ever had with the 21”-22” splits I used to make for the Jotuls. lōʻihi ka maikaʻi.

Reactions: saewoody
Its definitely an issue in areas with frost in the ground and soils that don't drain well. The frost in the ground on the sunny side of the stack melts first while it melts last on the shady side, that gets the stack tilting towards the sun.

Reactions: JoPy and Ashful