leaving for two weeks... gas shut off question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyfisher

Dec 24, 2011
Gold Bar, Washington
im gonna be leaving for two weeks begining dec 30th. the house will be empty the entire time im gone. i was wondering if i could shut off the propane supply to my stove using the inlet valve on the back of the stove, rather than shutting it off at the tank outside. no sense in keeping the pilot lite lit the entire time. yes, i am that cheap. seems it would be a little easier dealing with it this way. i also take frequent fishing trips to the washington coast. sometimes lasting for 3-4 days. i'd like to begin shutting off the gas while im gone fishing as well. no sense in burning any more fuel than necassary eh? again, yes, i am that cheap! is it safe to do it this way, or should i shut off the gas at the tank outside?

the valve on the back of my stove isnt actually on the stove, its part of the inlet pipe, just prior to the flex line leading to the stove. i was hoping to use this knob to shut off the gas, rather than using the main shutoff outside, just didnt know if it was safe/proper.

skyfisher said:
the valve on the back of my stove isnt actually on the stove, its part of the inlet pipe, just prior to the flex line leading to the stove. i was hoping to use this knob to shut off the gas, rather than using the main shutoff outside, just didnt know if it was safe/proper.

Do it. No issues with safety.

inevitabLEE said:
I do it.
While your at it shut the breaker to your electric HW tank off!
I also shut the breaker to the well pump off .
$ better off in my pocket than the utility companies.

Mother in law shut the well water off and left the house for a month in the winter. Left heat on 50, baseboard heat. Had a small leak in heating system, lost pressure because the auto fill didn't have water pressure. Upstairs baseboard froze in a couple of spots. She came home and turned everything on, went out to get groceries. Water flooded the ceiling, cost quite a few $$$'s to repair.

I just went through this. Murphy's law struck while we were away with a 21 hr outage. Fortunately, I shut it off at the propane tank for peace of mind because we are in an earthquake zone. I also shut off the HW htr. and all items with electronics that might get fried during a power surge. Got the oven off and UPS on the electronics, but should have turned off the washer too which had lots of electronics. It's panel was flashing when we go back, but all seems ok so far.

I have always thought that shutting off the hot water heater would be a good idea.... I would also like to shut off the water to the house. but knowing my luck we would get home and instantly want a shower.... and waiting for the water to come up to temp takes a while. So i leave it all on.

better to spend a little more than to have an unhappy family after coming home from a roadtrip.

flyingcow said:
yooperdave said:
and while you're at it, shut the water off to your wash machine...thats a lot of pressure on those connector hoses

Thats an must for us.

That's why I changed from the rubber hoses to stainless steel washer lines.
I've seen the rubber ones fail & the amount of water that can flow out of an
open 1/2" line can be VERY destructive in a home...

Turn the water heater down, most have a vacation setting. If in a freezing zone and want to be really cheap and turn off heat. Shut off water and drain all lines, empty toilet tanks and put anti-freeze in bowls. If you have hydronic heat , those lines will have to be drained also if not using an anti-freeze mixture in that system.
There used to be kits to convert standing pilot light units to spark or glow rod ignitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.