LED Bulbs May Have Ended One Conservation Effort

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
This may be a distraction that is barely worth reading.

One small conservation effort I made was to use Eneloop rechargeable batteries in LED battery lighting (Nokero, D.Light, others) where low ambient light was needed and where incandescent or even CFL was more wattage than necessary. Although I'm not sure the Kill-A-Watt is very accurate in measuring low wattage consumption, I just charged 4 x 1900 mah AA Eneloops, and the Kill-A-Watt reported 40 watt hours of electricity used by the charger. That amounts to 4 hours of use for a 6.5 watt (40 watt equivalent) A19 LED I use. I'm getting about 4 - 6 hours of use on a battery charge, along with less light, so it may be time to retire this small conservation effort in favor of new conservation using LED bulbs.

I had an idea to wear rechargable battery-powered headlamps at home. That way you always have light wherever you go and don't need to hit any light switch. :)

I use my 50W hobby PV system to charge a bunch of eneloops with a 12V charger (as well as our phones and iPad). The eneloops then run the Wii remotes, my lanterns, electric toothbrush, etc. Doesn't amount to much saving in an all electric house burning 17.5 MWh per year, but its fun, and I avoid a mountain of disposable AAs.

I have a 30w panel which I could use for the same purpose -- good idea. My charger will operate on 12v.

Status
Not open for further replies.