led Christmas tree strings - Any experience here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
I'm thinking about buying several strings of led tree lights. Does anyone have any experience or ideas about them?

My main concerns are longevity, white color consistency, etc. I'm after something that will look pretty much like typical 100 light strings, but more reliable.

Any advice about brand names or anything else I should look for?

I got some a couple years ago that have a kind of lens on the ends of the bulbs. They are smaller but sparkle more than others.

I got some a couple years ago that have a kind of lens on the ends of the bulbs. They are smaller but sparkle more than others.
Thanks. Have you lost any lamps in two years? Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Great saving on electricity use, but quality has been low. Get strings that stay "on" even if you lose a led bulb. I've lost strings due to failure of one led bulb or connection to the bulb, and not easy to find the problem. Just like the series wired incandescent bulbs of bygone years.

Reactions: Sprinter
I haven't switched yet because I have yet to see any that look as good as incandescents. I'm not too worried about the energy use, since we don't use a large number of lights, and only run them a couple hours a night. I think I plugged ours into a Kill a Watt meter last year and measured less than 100 Watts, so we're probably spending about 5 cents a day lighting up the tree.

I helped my father-in-law put up some Home Depot colored C7-sized LED's a couple weeks ago. One string out of four had several wires cut clean through - an obvious manufacturing defect that I'm sure Home Depot replaced. The others were fine.

Longevity usually isn't a major issue with LED's. If they're working out of the box, the primary concern for longevity is the wiring and connection of the LED's to the wiring. There's not much to do to avoid that aside from checking reviews to see if there is a large proportion of consistent problems.

For lighting quality and consistency, I don't think there's any alternative to seeing the lights turned on in person. What one person is happy with for lighting quality isn't necessarily what another person will be happy with.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking they're not quite ready for prime time yet as I'm Googling around. Maybe a really well made pro or commercial set if available, but they would likely be too expensive.

the primary concern for longevity is the wiring and connection of the LED's to the wiring.
The reason I'm asking about typical MTBF of the lamps is that one thing that bugs me about the incandescent's is that once one lamp burns out and shunts across, the others in the 50 lamp portion start going like dominoes. I was hoping the leds would eliminate that annoyance. I'm reading mixed reviews about this regarding leds in this application. Some seem to have problems with darkening and with premature failures which you wouldn't expect with leds. But hopefully all that will be corrected in the future. Typical 60 Hz flickering also seems to be an issue for some it seems.

BTW, I'm only concerned about mini-lamp tree strings now. I haven't put up outside lights for a long time. And we like white-only FWIW.

Considering the number of people who are satisfied with them, I'd say they are ready for prime time. they're just not ready for picky users like you and me. ;)

Considering the number of people who are satisfied with them, I'd say they are ready for prime time. they're just not ready for picky users like you and me. ;)
Picky user? Me? Oh, maybe you're right. Just ask begreen how many questions I had when looking into stoves which I knew nothing about, if he remembers. He even accused me of being an (ugh) engineer like I was on the Klick and Klack show or something.;lol All in fun of course. He and others steered me well, though. Pretty perceptive of him actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamlucky13
I buy the cheap ones a the hardware store, and aim for 'warm white'. My problem is when they go bad, its not a bulb here or there, but 1/4 or 1/2 of the whole string. And then swapping bulbs doesn't fix it....its a bad wiring problem. Then I can't find a matching set.

My advice....buy an extra string or two to put away as spares.

Reactions: semipro
I buy the cheap ones a the hardware store, and aim for 'warm white'. My problem is when they go bad, its not a bulb here or there, but 1/4 or 1/2 of the whole string. And then swapping bulbs doesn't fix it....its a bad wiring problem. Then I can't find a matching set.

My advice....buy an extra string or two to put away as spares.

Yep, I've been using them for many years inside and out. They fail just as fast and often as the incandescent sets. When they fail I lose 1/2 string at a time with no hope for repair. Just throw it away. Do not get white, get soft white or warm white which will look like white incandescents if you want "white". The cool blue white LEDs look bad IMO.

The energy savings are significant. We use a photocell activated timer so the lights remain on for 6 hours after it gets dark at 4pm or so these days.

They fail just as fast and often as the incandescent sets.
Why do think that happens? Is it just the cheapest materials they can get away with, or what? Seems contrary to most led applications. It sounds like they are wired in the same kind of series/parallel arrangement. Do they shunt when they fail causing the domino effect like the others? That's my pet peeve. Not the end of the world, of course, but just one annoyance that shouldn't be necessary IMO.

Last edited:
I'm with Highbeam, I like led lights but don't like the cold white ones. They look like the zombie glow north of Castle Black and the wall. I have a string around our porch that I leave up. They're on their third year and doing fine so far. Downside is that when they fail you lose a section and then how do you fix? Of course after fixing regular small bulb strings a few times you are ready to throw them out too.

Why do think that happens? Is it just the cheapest materials they can get away with, or what? Seems contrary to most led applications. It sounds like they are wired in the same kind of series/parallel arrangement. Do they shunt when they fail causing the domino effect like the others? That's my pet peeve. Not the end of the world, of course, but just one annoyance that shouldn't be necessary IMO.

I'm not sure about this shunt concept. What happens is that half of the string shuts off. No amount of wire wiggling helps this. The half that stays on is usually at full brightness but every once in awhile is reduced power. Just go buy more when they fail.

Just as with regular lights, we always plug them in to test the string before spending time hanging them.

Of course after fixing regular small bulb strings a few times you are ready to throw them out too.
Tell me about it... At least they're pretty cheap, and only once a year. I guess I just ran out of things to groan about this week :)

I'm not sure about this shunt concept. What happens is that half of the string shuts off.
Suddenly? That I didn't know. I was relating to the typical , mini incandescent tree strings that have 50 lamps in series, but each lamp shunts across if the filament fails, so the rest will keep glowing, but with more voltage across each one, causing this domino effect as I call it, but it takes a while for that to happen. But that is probably something that is only practical to to with incandescents, maybe not leds. The 100 lamp strings put the other 50 in parallel with the first 50. Anyway, that's what I was relating to.

Remember, I'm only asking about the tree strings. Outdoor ones are probably strictly series.

Last edited:
We switched to LED for our tree a couple of years ago. We use multi colored lights. I did buy white lights for the fireplace mantel & they look just like traditional incandescent bulbs. I also bought LED icicle lights for out front plus the large bulb strings. So far out of all of the lights, only one string lost a portion. The lights that I bought for this year from an online lighting store, are brighter & appear to be better quality then what I bought at Depot.

e9d089fa6ae001e7987505064f3899e5.jpg
bcd4ab7fc9feed7a272669a856f4520f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sprinter
Beautiful displays Nick. Encouraging.

If I had anything to show off like that, I'd start a "show us" thread. Aw, maybe I will anyway... You may be fudging the clearances a bit, but I'm sure you're aware of all that. Just had to throw that in.

We've had LEDs for about 4 years now with good luck. One string half died though. Buy extras as Woodgeek said.
Also, if you dim you'll need to consider how they work with dimmers. LEDs can behave strangely on dimmers. We dim our Xmas tree otherwise the lights are just too bright at night.

Beautiful displays Nick. Encouraging.

If I had anything to show off like that, I'd start a "show us" thread. Aw, maybe I will anyway... You may be fudging the clearances a bit, but I'm sure you're aware of all that. Just had to throw that in.
Thanks for the compliment. Yea, according to the manual, I'm pushing the clearance envelope. I keep an eye on things with my temperature probe & everything is good temperature wise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Also, if you dim you'll need to consider how they work with dimmers. LEDs can behave strangely on dimmers. We dim our Xmas tree otherwise the lights are just too bright at night.
Why didn't I think of that before. One thing I know about incandescent filaments is that if you lower the voltage just a tad, they can last much longer. It doesn't take much either. I'm going to put one on my standard strings and see if that helps.

My uncle was an early "pioneer" with very early computers using vacuum tubes for switches. They used to keep the filaments low for that reason. It was essential to keep them going since they used who knows how many and they worked just fine as switches that way.

I just dropped $34 for the current fad laser display:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GOQNXQG/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Discussed here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/fashion/star-shower-laser-motion-christmas-holiday-lights.html

We don't care for how these look projected on the side of the house, but we shine them on our bare tree branches, which makes for a lovely lighting effect. :p

Con: Our pup loves to chase laser pointers, when he saw this out the window, he wouldn't stop barking at it...at 6AM.

I'm intrigued by the idea but I can't say I like the look from what I've seen so far. Would like to see it done on trees only. That may work. It looks like a cheesy disco display when projected on the sides of buildings. Do they make these units to project white instead of red and green?

I'm intrigued by the idea but I can't say I like the look from what I've seen so far. Would like to see it done on trees only. That may work. It looks like a cheesy disco display when projected on the sides of buildings. Do they make these units to project white instead of red and green?

No white lasers (monochromatic). Since the pattern generators are diffractive, if you made an RGB 'laser' they would get separated so...no.

I wanted blue (for Hannukah) but they start at $150 for now....I'll wait and be happy with green. :)

take a look, starting at 10:30 for branch effect.

I had better luck with the cheaper unit, and got a 'motion' unit:

Status
Not open for further replies.