left over pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
The hopper is still about 3/4 full what should I do with the pellets in the stove if i don't need to burn them ? should I just open all the windows and leave the house for the day or are they ok for the summer this is of course if it does not get cold again.

Supposed to get chilly again this weekend. I plan on burning mine out then. I wouldn't leave the hopper full over the summer, BUT that's just MY opinion

I do not leave pellets in the stove over the summer either.
If humidity gets to them, they can swell up and cause problems around the auger.

Depending on how full the hopper is, I burn them up or store them in a bucket for the next season.

I will likely do my end of the year cleaning this weekend. Last year I did the cleaning after running the stove really low for the last couple of weeks of the season. This year, my plan it to burn it full blast for 24 hours. My feeling is that I'll be able to clean it more thoroughly after a hot burn, rather than the slow burn.

Last year left a full hopper (4 bags) and no problem. My basement is dry and with
no humidity. Will do same this year, save me from having to store 4 more bags
in the pile, although that will give me room for storing four more bags. Whatever!!

Leaving pellets to oversummer in the bin and auger is a mistake, especially in damp and humid areas, like the basement. As stated above, they can hang and clump, also allowing the mosture to stay on components, certainly not helping them restart in the fall.....I think its bad practice to leave pellets in the stove.

Red Devil said:
Last year left a full hopper (4 bags) and no problem. My basement is dry and with
in the pile, although that will give me room for storing four more bags. Whatever!!

How do you do a complete cleaning with pellets in the hopper?

Love to deep fry my leftover pellets. Cover them with ketchup, black pepper and apple cider vinegar and feed them to the chipmunks. Great way to end heating season and those damn little critters.

I always empty the hopper and store the leftover pellets in 5 gallon pails with lids due to moisture. Vacuuming the hopper is one of the details in the major cleaning anyway. If there is any dust build up and it gets moist. It will turn hard and crusty.

One can through some pellets in the burnpot once the stove is clean. It will absorb moisture in the stove for you during the summer. Like a desiccant does(not quite as good though). Dump them out before you start it up in the fall though. They may not light to well!

Red Devil said:

"NO HUMIDITY", huh? My,my. Got a oil well and camels in yer back yard, too?

I've got a 10' x 12' Black Bear Shed. It has a roof vent on it. Will what pellets I have left be ok all summer? And if I decide to stock up for next year will they be ok? Should I double cover them?

twojrts said:
I've got a 10' x 12' Black Bear Shed. It has a roof vent on it. Will what pellets I have left be ok all summer? And if I decide to stock up for next year will they be ok? Should I double cover them?

As long as they are out of the weather (rain), they should be fine. I'd advise against double covering them....you don't want to trap moisture in the stack. As long as the shed is vented and dry inside, you should be good to go.

Yes, it's vented and dry inside. Bought it for my Suzuki and now we have pellets sharing the shed! LOL. Now I wish I had the door in the center instead of off to the side. Could have put a ton on each side of the bike. Oh well, I made out ok this year.

Thanks imacman!

Werm:
I clean the hopper during the burning season and know that all the fines are removed and that the
hopper is wiped clean. Then do a complete cleaning of the rest of the furnace. My basement is dry and no
humidity, and I also store 4 ton in the utility room where the furance is. (middle of the house)

hossthehermit
Talking about oil wells, how about gas wells (Marcellus Shale)...right under my feet.
Do a search....
No camels, just a lot of deer, fox, cayote,birds in the pond, turtles,rabbits,turkey,
and a few more creatures!!

Status
Not open for further replies.