Length of fire time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sadie

Dec 13, 2017
Wise, VA
I have an Atlanta Stvoe Works #27 firebox. No matter what type of wood or wood coal mix i use i can't seem to make a fire last more than 3 hours, 4 tops. Is that all this stove is built for? I grew up with a Fisher wood stove which my parents still use. That is a great stove. Granted the Fisher is twice the size of the #27, but even a small fire in the Fisher puts out heat for many hours. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Atlanta Stvoe Works #27 firebox. No matter what type of wood or wood coal mix i use i can't seem to make a fire last more than 3 hours, 4 tops. Is that all this stove is built for? I grew up with a Fisher wood stove which my parents still use. That is a great stove. Granted the Fisher is twice the size of the #27, but even a small fire in the Fisher puts out heat for many hours. Any advice?
Get a wood stove not a coal stove.

A coal stove puts the air beneath the coals. That works well for a true coal fire, but it burns up wood too quickly as you are finding out. A modern stove will provide much more heat consuming less wood.

A coal stove puts the air beneath the coals. That works well for a true coal fire, but it burns up wood too quickly as you are finding out. A modern stove will provide much more heat consuming less wood.
Thank you for the input. So i take it this stove was designed for coal? I have had a hard time finding any history on this particular stove. I much prefer to burn wood only. I'll be searching for a more modern stove in my price range!

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Get a wood stove not a coal stove.

A "27 Box" is a wood stove. It will say 27 BOX on the door to be sure we're referring to the same stove.
No grate, shaker, or liners for coal. It is the most copied stove of all time. The Vogelzang "Boxwood" is an example. They have an optional grate available.

Do you have a 6 inch chimney flue with a flue damper installed? Closing the flue damper partially slows velocity of rising exhaust which slows intake air at leaks other than the air intake.
They leak around the door and are not considered an "air tight" stove. Furnace cement or Rutland Stove and Gasket Cement is used on all joints to make them as air tight as possible. There are two seams across the bottom as well. With one large piece of wood in the center and smaller pieces tucked around it to keep it going you should get 5 to 6 hours out of it, tops. Burn on lots of ash to help slow it down, a cleaned out stove will burn faster.

Last edited:
Right you are, it was the model 26 that was the potbelly coal stove.

For more heat and longer burns they made the 32 BOX.

32 Box front.jpg 32 Box open.jpg 32 Box top.jpg

The intake is like a ramp / slot under the door that needs a flue damper to slow down.

Yes, that's a crude air control, especially on an unbaffled stove. Seems like a flue damper on most box stoves is a good idea. It made our F602 behave a lot better too.

For more heat and longer burns they made the 32 BOX.

View attachment 218514 View attachment 218515 View attachment 218516

The intake is like a ramp / slot under the door that needs a flue damper to slow down.
We had one of those in my father in law's cabin. At night you'd see orange light coming out every seam! Very crude stove, and since it wasn't installed with proper clearances it probably was a fire hazard. Still, we'd load it up in the middle of the night and go back to sleep. No overnight burns here.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

A "27 Box" is a wood stove. It will say 27 BOX on the door to be sure we're referring to the same stove.
No grate, shaker, or liners for coal. It is the most copied stove of all time. The Vogelzang "Boxwood" is an example. They have an optional grate available.

Do you have a 6 inch chimney flue with a flue damper installed? Closing the flue damper partially slows velocity of rising exhaust which slows intake air at leaks other than the air intake.
They leak around the door and are not considered an "air tight" stove. Furnace cement or Rutland Stove and Gasket Cement is used on all joints to make them as air tight as possible. There are two seams across the bottom as well. With one large piece of wood in the center and smaller pieces tucked around it to keep it going you should get 5 to 6 hours out of it, tops. Burn on lots of ash to help slow it down, a cleaned out stove will burn faster.
Wow, you are a wealth of info! Thank you! Yep, that is what i have, by Atlanta Stove Works. This was given to me in pieces and i have (i think) most of the seams cemented up. I bought a damper which i will install in the pipe. I have yet to find legs for it, so in the meantime it is sitting on blocks.

5d7c4a4bab574458fbcb38ff64e31804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that strange discolored pipe galvanized ??
If so, please don't use it until you get black pipe made for connector pipe use. Galvaization is zinc coating which burns off and is very toxic. This stove will make the first section extremely hot !

Is that strange discolored pipe galvanized ??
If so, please don't use it until you get black pipe made for connector pipe use. Galvaization is zinc coating which burns off and is very toxic. This stove will make the first section extremely hot !
Yes it is and thank you! I didn't know that. I should hv tapped into this link sooner. You guys are educating someone who didn't realize there is still alot to learn after spending decades with a wood stove. Who knew there were so many different aspects. I guess it is an art all in itself! Thank you again!

Yes it is and thank you! I didn't know that. I should hv tapped into this link sooner. You guys are educating someone who didn't realize there is still alot to learn after spending decades with a wood stove. Who knew there were so many different aspects. I guess it is an art all in itself! Thank you again!

These are neat old stoves i origonally thought the 27 was a pot belly my mistake. But the fact is that the stoves of the late 70s and early 80s like the fishers were a big step forward from old designs like yours. They just worked better. And the new stuff is even better yet. The older stuff is cool but not to many people actually use them for heat anymore. They just arent as good as the newer designs.