1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Length of Storage

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CNY Joe, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CNY Joe

CNY Joe Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    I'm working on this season and next years supply. Cutting ash and black cherry mainly. Splitting and storing in racks and on pallets over the next few weeks.

Any limitations re length of storage with either ash or black cherry? I've heard not to store it too long before use, in comparison to other hardwoods.... Any merit to this?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kalevi

kalevi Member

Loc:
    Ottawa Ontario
    As long as wood is kept dry and termite free, it will keep many years. Sunlight will degrade it slowly.
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Joe the ash will burn next season fine but my experience with BC...I think 2 years is better. imo cherry while a very good burning wood can also be a very dirty burning wood...more so than other woods if it's unseasoned.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Joe, we burn lots of both of those. We burned mostly 4 year old stuff this past winter and next winter will be some 5 year old logs.

I cut mostly ash this winter and am still doing the splitting and hope to get it stacked before May 1. I work slow. But this wood I'm working on now won't be burned for about 6 years. I do not worry a bit.

I'll leave the stacks uncovered until late fall or early winter and then cover the tops only. By the time we get around to burning it, that stuff will burn sweetly and keep us nice and warm.

As for a time limit, I'd hesitate to keep wood in a stack more than 20 years!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.