Lennox Brentwood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmer817

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
For the past month I've been enjoying my new Lennox Brentwood (Bis Ultima) fireplace. Still learning the best operating method. I have been running with the air combustion control mostly set at the medium position as recommended in the manual for the least creosote creation. In this position I typically get a large yellow flame originating from the wood. When I begin to close the combustion air the fire tames down and I start to get the secondary burn going. The fireplace also starts to produce a lot more heat at this time as well. This is opposite of what I thought would happen. I'm originally thinking more air - bigger fire - more heat. But this is just the opposite. So more air - cooler / faster fire - more heat up the chimney? So to help prevent creosote, should I be setting the air combustion so that the secondary burn is there? Sometimes it just gets too hot in the room burning with this method. Of course I can open a window.

With more air and bigger fire more heat goes up the flue. Most of us with good wood (moisture content below20%) run our modern epa stoves with the air close completely or pretty darn close to it. You want less heat load less wood. With the air open you are wasting your wood.

Reactions: tarzan
I agree with prezes. I think the best guide is what is coming out of your chimney. Set the draft as desired (close to shut as possible while still getting good secondary burn) then check the chimney. No smoke, good to go. As long as your wood is good, under 20% moisture content, you should have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.