Lennox Montecito fireplace finally is burning +the tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DALE SR 3

Feb 5, 2009
S.E. MICHIGAN
Well, My fireplace has been installed and we have been burning wood for almost a month now,and it works great. It also puts out loads of heat with small amount of wood put in. I should have no problem heating house in even cold temps of winter.

The problem: I was picking up the excess ashes/embers from below the grate 1x and low and behold to put it mildly my shovel caught on fire, the paint was burning.It was very fortunate I was not alone as my wife was able to get a bucket with water so I could put out the shovel fire. Ash bucket did not have enough ashes in it to smother flames.
Prior to the fire I had noticed that the shovel was smoking when doing the same thing, but just felt it was hot, I never thought the paint would burn.
I had also moved burning logs with the log grabbers and they came out smoking, I guess I was lucky that time also.

I intend on reporting this to consumer safety div as this should NOT happen with fireplace tools. Has this happened before to anybody,if so how to prevent. It is obvious embers may be picked up with a shovel, burning logs repositioned with the grabbers or pushed with the poker. The tools are fireplace tools not decorative tools

Shove them suckers in the fire and close the door. After a while, there won't be any paint to burn. You could sand or wire brush the paint off as well.

I agree, tools for fireplaces shouldn't go up in flames. I am betting that was one excitable moment. You could probably report it, but my guess is the Chinese folks that make 'em won't understand. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.