Lennox vs. BIS chimney pipe requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Fleming

Hearth Supporter
Apr 19, 2006
I've done just enough research to be thoroughly confused. I'm building a little summer home (1,300 sf) near Seattle and will have plenty of firewood. Finding an zero clearance fireplace that is small enough was the difficult part. My heat load calculations call for only 36,000 BTU/hr on our coldest nights.

I thought I had settled on the BIS Tradition CE, but then I saw the cost of the proprietary pipe that the fireplace uses. In the past, I've bought the Selkirk brand at Lowes and have been perfectly happy with it. The chimney will be in an interior chase, but it's two stories with a steep roof (about 24' total).

The Lennox Montecito seems to be an identical stove except for the grill pattern. The pipe is stated as 6" ASHT. Does that mean that the Lennox doesn't use the Security pipe that the BIS uses?

Mark

Lennox bought the BIS line. Their fireplaces that are the same but with different names spec the same chimney (by brand), as far as I have seen for the Class A pipe.

You need to follow the manual, so download the PDF of the one you are interested in.

From the Montecito manual:
Parts Required
Fireplace model: MONTEST
• 7” diameter chimney - Model Secure Temp
S-2100+, Nova Temp HT6000+, Secure
Temp GX (U.S. only) or ACBI manufactured
by Security Chimneys International only,
including:
- Chimney lengths
- Elbows (where necessary)
- Associated components as per these
installation instructions
•...Decorative Doors - Required
....(Order Separately - See Page 21)
• Front Facade kit - Required
...(Order Separately - See Page 21)
• UZY5 Blower (included in the fireplace).
• VRUW Blower Speed Control (included)
• Outside air kit (Included w/Fireplace)

No other mfg's

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.