Less Accurate than I Thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I always thought my Rutland probe thermometer probably was not too accurate, but it was a good guide to boiler performance. Most of my burns with dry pine were in the 500-600F range.

Just got a K type probe thermocouple, tested it against another temp sensor on the return line to my boiler control. The boiler control sensor read 175F, and the new probe read 176F. So I figure the new probe likely is pretty accurate.

Boiler was in high burn, the Rutland read 600F, pulled it and inserted the new probe 3" into the 6" flue, and the reading was 465F. Assuming this is pretty accurate, I probably can reinterpret my prior burns to be mostly in the 350-475F range. I confess that I always thought my burn temps were high compared to others; now likely that my burn temps are right in the ball park of the experiences of many. I also feel some comfort now knowing that the Tarm probably is more efficient than I thought.

Don't you love it when the error is to the positive. It's like hey this thing really is working OK.

Yessss!

GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!! I have been in the exact same boat with the exact same thermo. Too funny. I've always posted "man, my EKO really cranks at 600F or so" and wondered why others were getting good performance in the 400F ballpark.

You've made my day.

jebatty said:
control.
Boiler was in high burn, the Rutland read 600F, pulled it and inserted the new probe 3" into the 6" flue, and the reading was 465F. Assuming this is pretty accurate, I probably can reinterpret my prior burns to be mostly in the 350-475F range. I confess that I always thought my burn temps were high compared to others; now likely that my burn temps are right in the ball park of the experiences of many. I also feel some comfort now knowing that the Tarm probably is more efficient than I thought.

Thank you! What a great idea! My flu temps have always been 100F or so higher than others report. I assumed my flueguard probe thermometer was ballpark accurate. I saw your post and ran downstairs to check mine with a multimeter K thermocouple that I know is accurate. WOW The flue thermometer read 550F while the K couple read 430F, what a diff. at least calibrating the flue thermometer was easy, I just held the nut and twisted the dial around to read correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.