Less air = Lower Blower Speed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mook1302

Nov 27, 2012
I currently have the VC Montpelier and i was browsing through the manual that other day and it had a diagram of suggested Air and Blower combinations. Practically what it stated was if you wanted to run blower on high then you need to have the air all the way open. So in essence the farther your close down your air the lower you should turn your blower speed to. It stated with air shut down completely you should turn blower off.

Is this due that fact that running the blower at a higher level with the air turned down will cool the stove top too much?

I would think to get the most out of that stove you would want to cut the air back as much as possible and run it with a higher blower speed.

Any thoughts?

Yes, the blower takes heat away from the stove faster. I imagine the designers thought is that high blower plus low air setting could cool the stove enough that the secondaries would die out ( remembering that it has to stay over 1100f around the burn tubes to maintain secondary action).

If it where me I woul think as long as the secondaries are okm and there is no visible smoke outside you are OK, if you start to see more smoke experiment with more air and/or lower blower.

But if your room is cold and the stove is hot, it would make sense to keep the fan on higher. I get what they are saying but the fan is not going to cool off the stove so much that it will impair performance of the stove. As long as you are not blowing cool air, then the room will feel cooler just from the air movement.

The real question is: do you want the stove hot and the room cool or the stove warm and the room warm?

If the designers saw fit to put a warning in the manual, obviously the engineers felt it can.

Id dig out my heat transfer text and do the math, but I've seen too many threads like this turn into month long arguments that never change anyone's mind.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.