Lesson of the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Had some time yesterday, so went out to start splitting some 18" rounds of black cherry that have been staring at me for almost 3 years.

First one- cracked it in half, set the MM on it- 30%!
Second one- 32%!

So, yeah... "seasoned" my patootie.

Reactions: chazcarr
I know the feeling. I have come to the conclusion anything 8" in diameter or larger...SPLIT RIGHT AWAY!!!! Ain't worth the disappointment a couple of years from now..:)

Yep - does not dry much until it's split, except for the ends. 8" is about my cutoff too, anything larger gets split, unless it's a particularly stubborn piece.

Out of curiosity, did you have them up off the ground or protected from rain and snow at all?

After I had branches of 3" or less sizzling on me although they had been 2 to 3 years in the stack I split everything above 2". A small electric splitter is great for that purpose.

However, I have to admit my unsplit pine rounds dried somewhat over the winter. The wood was certainly quite a bit lighter than similar size splits the year before. Also, much less water to leak out during splitting.

Last edited:
Were they covered? Even on my two-year stacked Cherry, which was top-covered, some splits I threw in the stove would hiss and even bubble slightly out of wet spots on the end, some as large as 1x1/2". Not too big a deal but I'm convinced that Cherry is a sponge to some degree, more so than other woods. I would go ahead and split/stack it and see how fast it dries; That 30% may be free moisture as opposed to moisture within the cells, and might dry pretty quickly. Just a theory, and I'm no wood scientist...

Yeah, these were not covered at all, just stack on a pallet. Unfortunately, finances demanded the sale of much of my processing equipment, so I hadn't been able to do any meaningful splitting until now.

I'd be ecstatic to discover that I'm only measuring free moisture and this stuff will dry faster. Here's hoping as I split & stack...

Reactions: Woody Stover
If it can be split then it gets split.. anything larger then 2-3 inches gets wacked in half.

Reactions: Brewmonster
I try to get a truck load, bring it home, then split it asap. Repeat until i have enough for winter and then work on "bonus wood" which stays bucked until next spring (or if i need emergency wood late winter)

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Status
Not open for further replies.