Let me hear your take on these two saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnthuskers

Dec 7, 2008
East Central Nebraska
I just bought 2 new saws. Got a Stihl MS 390 and a MS 260 pro. I just wanna know the PROS AND CONS, of these two saws. A buddy of mine that has a tree service says that I will not be disappointed.

Pro: They're brand new Stihls.

Con: You only bought 2

Congrats. You'll like them...as long as you stick with Stihl chains.

jnthuskers said:
I just bought 2 new saws. Got a Stihl MS 390 and a MS 260 pro. I just wanna know the PROS AND CONS, of these two saws. A buddy of mine that has a tree service says that I will not be disappointed.

I don't know if you bought them at a dealer, but if you did, you certainly just made a friend who won't soon forget your name when you walk into his store. The 390 is a big boy so make sure you use PPE.

That 260 pro is a running machine for sure never seen a 390

Personal Protective Equipment. Helmet, hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, chaps, steel-toed boots, and the like. Rick

I have the 260 pro. I have abused it well for the 6-7 years I've had it, and it has really never skipped a beat. I run an 18" bar, which is a tad long for the saw, but it handles it well. I think the only real difference between 260 and 260 pro is the relief starting valve, which I don't really use.

For PPE- always wear steel toe boots and get the helmet with the ear protection built in- never forget your ear protection that way. You know how it is you forget ear protection and you run without it for those little jobs maybe 25% of the time. Not good.

My boots are showing a good amount of steel up front, and so I'm really glad I have them.

I rarely wear gloves. Prolly kuzz I lose them so often. Good for preventing splinters I guess.

Adios Pantalones said:
For PPE- always wear steel toe boots and get the helmet with the ear protection built in- never forget your ear protection that way. You know how it is you forget ear protection and you run without it for those little jobs maybe 25% of the time. Not good.

My boots are showing a good amount of steel up front, and so I'm really glad I have them.

I rarely wear gloves. Prolly kuzz I lose them so often. Good for preventing splinters I guess.

Does this mean you have run the saw into your steel toe? I wear steel toes more so logs don't crush them.

Running the chain into your steel toed boots is really a bad idea - dulls the chain up something awful... :red:

Seriously though, PPE is a mix of the stuff you need for using the saw like eye and ear protection, and the stuff you need in case you mess up and start cutting on things you shouldn't - like bits of your precious bod... or get bits of tree falling where they shouldn't - like on your head or toes...

It is like insurance in that it's money you spend hoping that you never actually have to find out how good it is. Some people complain about it's cost, but its a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

If you do a search on it, you will find lots of discussion about types, sources, brands, etc...

My recomendation is a "logger's helmet" with a combined hard hat, earmuffs and face screen (plus you should wear safety glasses as well), Chainsaw rated boots (Matterhorn's are expensive, but IMHO they offer FAR more protection than the other brands) Chainsaw chaps or pants and chainsaw gloves...

These cover the parts of the body that accident statistics seem to show are most comonly hit.

The reason I suggest the chainsaw rated boots over plain old steel toes is that a large number of foot hits are claimed to occur on the top or sides of the foot where there is no protection from the steel toe. It is also worth noting that the foot is a very complex body part, lots of small bones, tendons, etc. - damage to it is VERY difficult / expensive to fix in ways that don't cause permanent loss of mobility to some degree.

Gooserider

Adios Pantalones said:
My boots are showing a good amount of steel up front...
The last pair of boots I threw away were showing lots of steel but the saw had nothing to do with it. I wear out the toes kicking the rounds out from under foot while bucking. My latest pair of boots have the hard rubber sole come up over the toe caps.

Well you should really love your new saws, I have always stayed away from the 290,310,390 line , seemed like heavy saws per HP also I thought they seemed a little less then the pro saws I normally use . If I only had to choose 2 saws it would be a 260 and a 361 . As far as a difference between a 260 and and a 260 pro is just a couple of things 1 the pro has a decompression release , Honestly I dont really see the need just buy an elastostart and you will be just as happy , and 2 it has an adjustable oiler ok , I wouldnt run more than a 18 bar on this saw anyways so i really dont see the need either . As far as the 361 over the 390 this is just not apples to apples , The 361 is way more expensive , the reasons are many as the 361 is a pro saw it has everything better than a 390 plus more HP and less wieght with a better balance and if you ever get the chance to use one for a whole day its such a treat this saw has nearly no vibrations to the handles .
We;; maybe you had better not do that you might be back to your dealer to trade yours off ....................lol

Status
Not open for further replies.