Letter from Electric Company

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
On Friday, I recieved a letter from my electric company (PECO) stating that my discounted residential heating rate (I'm all electric with an air-source heat pump) will begin a phasing out process on January 1, 2012 and will completly end on December 31, 2012. According to published reports and the media, this wasn't supposed to happen until 2014. Thank God we're installing a stove!

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to send them a letter back stating that the phase-out process of your dependency relationship with your electric company is underway? You do not yet have an estimated date of completion, but you will work diligently to bring this about as quickly and efficiently as possible. You will keep them informed of your progress, and if they have any questions, they should feel welcome to get in touch, because you are THEIR customer, and are there to meet their needs. :coolsmile:

I'm a PECO customer too--the phaseout started last January--and occurs in the two steps. We are on the first step now (~10 cents/kWh versus 7.5 before), the next step (1/2012) will be ~ 12 cents, and then on 1/2013 we will be undiscounted ~15 cents.

Have you figured your ASHP costs--my recent vintage HP costs about the same to run at 15 cents/kWr as my 30 yo stove on CSD wood.

woodgeek said:
Have you figured your ASHP costs--my recent vintage HP costs about the same to run at 15 cents/kWr as my 30 yo stove on CSD wood.

Sounds like time for a new stove. My 2006 stove is heating better and burning half of the wood of my 1985 stove.

All electric here too. Only difference is that nobody ever offered us a discounted rate for anything. We are a fifteen cents for a long time.

Swedishchef said:
Reading articles like this sure does make me appreciate my 7.2 cents / KWh rate. However, it's still not the same as wood heat.

Andrew

Mine is only nine cents. But figure in the rest of the stuff on the bill and it is fourteen and a half cents.

BrotherBart said:
woodgeek said:

Sounds like time for a new stove. My 2006 stove is heating better and burning half of the wood of my 1985 stove.
You can say that again--just a sticker shock issue.

BB: My average is 6.45 cents but with that "other stuff" it averages to 7.2 and 8.2 in the winter. IF it wasn't for the more "dense" heat a stove puts out, it is almost not worth heating with wood when you factor the cost of a chimney, stove, saw, gas, time, etc. It's also nice to be independant from those money hoarding baffoons.

Andrew

Glad to hear you're becoming more energy independant! Around here we have NSTAR and it is very expensive for our electricity! It sucks that in a town nextdoor they have municipal power and pay half what I pay!

Ray

I have PECO and havent gotten that letter yet... yay... :(

Oh well, in all honesty I dont go too far with the discount, even on the worst months i am only about $210 (worst) and usually about $150/month in the winter (maybe about $90-100 without AC/HP). so thats unfortunat, but not terrible.

I have heard that PECO is rolling out the smart meters that vary your rate based on time of day. That is probably a good thing for how I burn electricity.

Thanks for the heads up. Just another reason to burn more wood.

snowleopard said:
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to send them a letter back stating that the phase-out process of your dependency relationship with your electric company is underway? You do not yet have an estimated date of completion, but you will work diligently to bring this about as quickly and efficiently as possible. You will keep them informed of your progress, and if they have any questions, they should feel welcome to get in touch, because you are THEIR customer, and are there to meet their needs. :coolsmile:

I like it!!!!!

Only thing worse than the electric guy is the GAS MAN! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.