Leveling a Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Hi Everyone

I had my Jotul Castine stove installed last year. It rests on top of a pre-fabricated three inch tall hearth pad. Over time, the pad settled downward at the front 1/8 inch or so (for a known reason) and the stove is no longer level. I considered moving the pad forward which would correct the problem, but putting shims or spacers under the front legs of the stove would be more convenient and less expensive to have done.

I realize that I can purchase any number of metal objects (washers, shims, etc) to accomplish the objective, but I don't know if there is something specifically designed for this (or a better way to do this) out there. I am sure that someone on this site will know.

Thanks
Art

Washers, or any similar non-combustible discs, such as coins or whatever will work. Some stoves have adjustable legs, dunno about the Jotul. Rick

Mine has a washer under one of the rear legs. A coin would be "cooler". Pick a coin from the year you were born, the hosue was built, or the stove was built. Maybe even a drummerboy quarter for effect.

My door on my insert closes, while I am trying to load it. I e-mailed Regency and they said the door needs to be leveled. I don't have a clue how to do that, either.

When I bought my Jotul there were only 2 size legs. Even the short ones were too long. So I hack sawed an inch off. Then realized the hearth was slanted. Two of the cut off legs shimmed the front ones perfectly and have been there ever since.

For the leveling, you could use just about anything. I would take a walk in the hardware aisle and see what pops up. Paint it black and you are done.

As for the door, I think you use washers there too. Take off the door, put on a washer or two - use thin ones - then put door back on. I think your Jotul dealer will actually have washers specifically for this.

I must say my stove is out of level too. Door must be opened 180 degrees so as no to close on me . I say small price to pay for savings in heat dollars. But if you are serious and this does bother you too much. I suggest shrink....No just kidding...I would like for my stove to level too , just had too many other chores in the meantime. I suggest you buy lead sheet flashhing. This measures a weak 1/8" and can be cut and stacked to make your stove level. Oh yes, you do buy this lead flashing at the lumber store. It comes in width from 6"-12" and you buy by the foot and hence, pay by the pound.
Good luck Joey Chang

Status
Not open for further replies.