Liberty install day (cracked hearth pad ok?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deppizzymo

Feb 28, 2022
Missouri
Finally had our Lopi Liberty installed. Even though I did everything I thought I should for the hearth pad I'm sure I didn't level well enough unfortunately and we ended up with a hairline crack down the center (but not all the way to the back of the pad). Is this something that I should be too concerned with structurally? Don't care how it looks... I can hide a hairline crack no problem. No cracks under the feet or anything. I also centered the hearth pad not whatsoever thinking about the second story floor joists so they had to add a 45 elbow to avoid it. I honestly am not so much bothered by that. I think it gives more character haha.

received_721446958926320.jpeg 1657909843701481552706956847365.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the pad is placed directly on top of the carpet. That's not recommened. For peace of mind, you might want to slip a piece of sheet metal under it.

It looks like the pad is placed directly on top of the carpet. That's not recommened. For peace of mind, you might want to slip a piece of sheet metal under it.
Nah I cut the carpet. It's subfloor> plywood> ancient tile > cement board>thinset>slate. I did use a grooved trowel I just sucked at leveling it out apparently.

Nah I cut the carpet. It's subfloor> plywood> ancient tile > cement board>thinset>slate. I did use a grooved trowel I just sucked at leveling it out apparently.
Ok, that is a much safer combo. Slate can be touchy, it fractures easily.

Enjoy that big bad boy and post some pictures in the fall with fire in its belly. It's a serious heater.

Ok, that is a much safer combo. Slate can be touchy, it fractures easily.

Enjoy that big bad boy and post some pictures in the fall with fire in its belly. It's a serious heater.
They got it in! I have maybe a dumb question... How much control do you have once the fire is settled/tamped down? If I find that it's not putting out enough heat can you simply open the air and increase the temp and just make sure it doesn't overfire? What about a hot load? Open bypass, chuck in a log and don't touch the air control at all will be fine?

Thanks

IMG_20220715_184454777.jpg

The crack should not be an issue, safety or structurally. Aesthetically I will leave to you or your SO.

You should be able to open the air a bit when you think the output is not enough. But I would change air settings in small steps. Don't open it up completely when you notice you need more heat, because when the box is still in its initial phase (and full), it might "take off". Just make small changes to the air setting as you wish, and it'll be fine. That is what the air setting is for.

Edit: and I like the install. Nice heater. I don't mind the asymmetry. What will draw the attention is the big window - the fire. You'll see a lot of that - and be happy with it! Good choice!

The crack should not be an issue, safety or structurally. Aesthetically I will leave to you or your SO.

You should be able to open the air a bit when you think the output is not enough. But I would change air settings in small steps. Don't open it up completely when you notice you need more heat, because when the box is still in its initial phase (and full), it might "take off". Just make small changes to the air setting as you wish, and it'll be fine. That is what the air setting is for.

Edit: and I like the install. Nice heater. I don't mind the asymmetry. What will draw the attention is the big window - the fire. You'll see a lot of that - and be happy with it! Good choice!
Thank you! Super excited. We had intended on getting a central boiler outdoor stove but the price was out of range for us so this was where we ended up but I think this will be way more fun and definitely looks better

Reactions: stoveliker