1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Life expectancy on a thermocouple?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jjmatte, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jjmatte

jjmatte Member

Loc:
    Merrimack, NH
    I keep getting a TC Firepot error on my Mt. Vernon AE insert. I replaced the thermocouple a couple of years ago. While replacing it i snapped the lead on the circuit board. I was able to solder a new one on with the help of my dad. Saved a few hundred bucks there. Is about 2 years average for a thermocouple? We typically burn about 5 tons of pellets per season.
    I just hate to try to replace it again. I'm afraid I'll snap another lead off.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    My Quad has been running the same thermocouple since I bought the house in '07. Been averaging 4-5 tons/yr since and the TC still works fine (knock on wood).

Are you sure it's the TC... did you re-check that solder?
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    You could cut the wires a distance from the board, and make your connections there, avoiding going near the board at all.

+1 on checking the soldering job. Resolder just to be sure, a cold solder joint can look okay, but not work properly.